Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullets

Old 11-11-2005, 03:05 PM

Default bullets

i heard that hornadys bullet for a muzzleloader was really good, but need some opinons before i buy.i heard it was easy and the best performing bullet.please help meout.thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bullets

kbick

The bullets and the sabots are great! the question is will they go down your rifle? Many times the sabots (probably MMP sabots) provided to you by Hornadyare to thick to go down the barrel - then you must either get a thinner MMP HPH-24 sabot or an Harvester Sabot.

What gun are you planning to use?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I was shooting some today, the 300 grain XTP with a T/C Mag Express sabot (they load easier that way). I was getting excellent groups out of them. Also from all I have read on them and from talking to others on boards like this one, they are real deer takers...

All you can do is try them in your rifle and see how it likes that. Like Sabotloader was saying, sometimes you might have to change sabots. I buy them in bulk and then buy the sabots that work with the rifle in bulk and it is a winning combination.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I have been shooting the 240gr XTP for a long time and
don't need to shoot anything else!

I am shooting a .50cal Wolverine!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:20 PM

give the hornady great plains 385 grain or other HB-HP lubed bullets a try. they are nice tight fitbut easy to load bullet and they shoot great. cleaning that plastic out of the barrel from the sabots is a pain in the back door. i just think that using chemicals strong enough to take the plastic out of your barrel must be hard on the medal. i don't believe that i will be using sabots anymore.i just don't think youneed them.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the 240 grain XTP's in my Omega. The 260 grain Dead Centers shoot great too and are much easier to load. However, the Mag Express sabots shoot so well, and are much cheaper so I just stick with them. By the way, what kind of sabots come with the mag express sabots?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

By the way, what kind of sabots come with the mag express sabots?
I was told they are a Harvester. Whether the person at Wal Mart knew what they were talking about I could not say. I was talking sabots with him because I questioned where the blue sabots come from for the 200 grain Shockwaves.

Does anyone know how many companies are out there that actually make sabots? Harvester is one company, ClaybusterI think are a part of Harvester, MMP, Knight is made by MMP I was told, so is there any other company. Who makes the yellow sabots that come with the Buffalo Bullets? They sure load nice.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:08 PM

im shooting a thompson balck diamond 50 caliber in line.for anyone who has one,would that built work for my gun?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kbick

im shooting a thompson balck diamond 50 caliber in line.for anyone who has one,would that built work for my gun?
The XTP shoot fine out of the Black Diamond XR I have. I shoot them with 100 grains of Goex 2f. I think you might have better luck shooting the 250 grain Shockwaves.

My Black Diamond XR really likes the Shockwaves in both the 200 & 250 grain. Be sure and get the Thompson Center Shockwaves, I tried the Hornady SST and must have had the wrong sabot the first time I tried them and had a terrible time shooting them. I went to the Thompson Center Shockwaves and have never had a problem.

That group was shot off a bench rest at 50 yards with 100 grains of loose Triple Se7en and 250 grain Shockwaves. As most will tell you, Shockwaves are a real deer taker. Also this load would be good to even extreme distances if you need to shoot longer range....

Another bullet that shoots well for me is the 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB sabot. I shoot them with 100 grains of Goex 2f and their accuracy is exceptional. Also since they are a pure lead bullet, they have some excellent results when hitting animals. I know another Black Diamond shooter that uses the SSB's on elk.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

I also got a BD XR and it shoots the 240 XTPs well with 110 loose pyrodex

Quick Reply: bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.