Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 CVA Hunterbolt >

CVA Hunterbolt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CVA Hunterbolt

Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA Hunterbolt

My buddy wants meto elk huntduring the black powder season. If I spend a ton of money on another gun any time soon, I'll probably be single. I found a cav hunterbolt and accessories for $85. The thing looks brand new. I wouldn't be shooting it very often at all. Will this gun be good enough to hunt elk here in Colorado? I've never even fired a black powder so this is a total learning experience. I know you get what you pay for, but would this thing be good enough to get me through my first black powder hunt next year?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:39 AM

Default RE: CVA Hunterbolt

I have that exact rifle, I paid $99.00 for it at Sams.After 2 years of light use parts in the bolt are now broken. They don't sell just that part and I have to buy the whole bolt for $50.00. I've been looking at some new breech loading rifles for $129.00. I think you would be fine If your heart is set on that gun but you can do better for a little more money.

With the right load that gun is more than enough for elk. I used 150gr of Pyrodex and 295gr Powerbelt bullets. Recoil was VERY stiff in that light rifle so I cut it down to 100gr of Pyrodex. Makesure you know how and what to clean it with. Mine came with a video.A ML is a whole new animal.

We can use scopes now here in GA and with ML season a week long I'll be buying a new one this year.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CVA Hunterbolt

Thanks Luke, you caught me just in time. I was gonna pick it up in the morning. I think I'll keep lookin'.