Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 American Pioneer Powder Sticks >

American Pioneer Powder Sticks

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

American Pioneer Powder Sticks

Old 11-13-2005, 04:41 AM

Default American Pioneer Powder Sticks

Anyone have an ideas of what I could use for a speed loader for these things? They won't fit in ones made for powder or pellets because of the shape.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:42 AM

Default RE: American Pioneer Powder Sticks

Use a zip-lock bag.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The fellow who owns the local tobaco store gave me some tubes with caps on the ends and I cut them down to the right length. Lee
Old 11-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Go to a hardware store and get some PVC pipe and end caps. Be sure and get the size pipe that allows the sticks to come out easy. Be sure and clean the PVC with alcohol and get any residue out of it before you start. Glue one end cap on with normal PVC cement. The other end cap, paint red. Then put one layer of tape (duct tape works good) and after you put your powder in them push that loose cap on ove that tape. I also take a piece of duct tape and on the outside of the tube put tapeover the cap to make sure it will not come off. The pellets are now water proof, you know which end to pull to get the powder out quicker, and they are pretty cheap to make. I made a bunch of them for loose powder charges, but used pipe smaller then the bore. That way it makes it easier to pour....
Old 11-14-2005, 08:09 PM

Boy i wish they could come out with something better than those sticks. They seem to be oversized for the rifle bore sometimes causing some of the stick to crack and break off when loading. I guess they cant use pellets for patent reasons. Does anyone know anything about why no pellets. There were cleanshot pellets at one time I think. I may be wrong. I think they were stopped due to a lawsuit of some kind. For me I like the loose powder due to the sticks having air pockets around them. It has to affect accuracy somewhat.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: AmericanPioneer

Boy i wish they could come out with something better than those sticks. They seem to be oversized for the rifle bore sometimes causing some of the stick to crack and break off when loading. I guess they cant use pellets for patent reasons. Does anyone know anything about why no pellets. There were cleanshot pellets at one time I think. I may be wrong. I think they were stopped due to a lawsuit of some kind. For me I like the loose powder due to the sticks having air pockets around them. It has to affect accuracy somewhat.
The way I always heard it was;

American Pioneer Powder Company used to be called Clean Shot Powder. They had a pellet almost identical to the Pyrodex pellet produced by Hodgdon Powder company. Hodgdon's sued Clean Shot powder over a copy write infringment because of their pellet shape. Clean Shot suffered in the courts because of it. They Clean Shot Powder Company stopped producing pellets all together. They finally even stopped making loose powder. I shot off a bunch of the stuff with excellent results.

American Pioneer Powder was the new parent company that formed from the ashes of Clean Shot Powder. When they came out with their pellets, they of course put them in stick shape. There is one end more narrow then the other that goes in first which helps in the loading I was told. I never shot their sticks but shot their powder off. When shooting loose get the FFFg grade it is easier to work with..
Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 PM

thanks for the ideas on the speedloaders got my first deer(doe)with a mllast friday morning had my reload in a zip lock bag wish i had a video of myself trying to reload LOL droped the primer and all that. LOL glad i did'nt need a second shot!!!! thanks again
Old 11-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

congratulations on taking a deer. With a muzzleloader is is a who new experience. As for getting a case of the jitters, that sounds normal. I have a friend that when he shoots a deer he has to sit down because he is so worked up and shaking he can not even walk... I guess that's just one reason why we hunt ... for the thrill.