Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 American Pioneer Sticks >

American Pioneer Sticks

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

American Pioneer Sticks

Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default American Pioneer Sticks

I am thinking of trying out the American Pioneer sticks this year. Have any of yall tried these? Kind of expensive to get on a whim without any real world reviews. I have tried the pyrodex and the 777 and prefer the pyrodex of the two but thinkin of doin something different this year.

Thanks
Kelly
Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: American Pioneer Sticks

Of all the pellets you will shoot, the APP are the lowest in velocity. They will be the cleanest of the pellets, but personally I would not bother with them. I am a loose powder shooter for the most part.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Cayuqad stay loose and never look back.

WV Mountaineer
Old 09-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

I was at the range today. (w/my .22s), on my way out a guy was shooting his new triumph w/t7 loose. Said he had been shooting stck powder. It was grouping 4-6 ins. he went to using loose and his groups shrunk to 1 inch! said the triumph was the best shooting, easiest cleaning mz he ever saw!!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot APP for 2 years, you have to keep dehydrateing the stuff or it becomes eratic and shoots all over the place.
I would recommend Pyrodex for traditional guns and open action inlines for good closed action inlines I would recommend Black Horn 209. Lee
Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 PM

I will agree STAY with the Loose Powder !
And any thing but AP
Old 09-27-2008, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be sticking with the pyrodex.

Kelly
Old 09-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kellyguinn

I am thinking of trying out the American Pioneer sticks this year. Have any of yall tried these? Kind of expensive to get on a whim without any real world reviews. I have tried the pyrodex and the 777 and prefer the pyrodex of the two but thinkin of doin something different this year.

Thanks
Kelly
APP loose is clean shooting powder, the down side of it is that it picks up moisture quick and it has a large deviation (200 fps) with the same volume. The sticks are even worse, varying by up to 5 grains for 100g sticks. Your better off shooting loose if you wanna shoot APP, and your better off with 3f, since the 2f clumps so bad (with moisture) that it is hard to get accurate loads. Of all the powders, this was the slowest at 100g. My recommendation is not to use it, but if you must, go loose and go 3f. You may wanna try Blackhorn 209, it is accurate and less prone to water absorption problems.
Just some thought for you to consider. I love how it shoots clean, and Blackhorn does that also.
Chap Gleason
Old 09-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

APP sticks and JSG sticks are not the way to go. JSGgranular 2F and 3Fare good powders. JSG likes a very tight fitting sabot that is seated really hard. Goex Pinnacle is made by the same company that makes APP and JSG. Pinnacle is much stronger than either APP or JSG and that is what my Encore is presently tuned for. Pinnacle 3F is not far off granular Pyrodex when it comes to power.The standard deviation is also about the same as Pyrodex.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

I started out with these because I thought that my gun would clean better. It mabye did, but I ended up switching quickly. The "pellets" are not a uniform size by any means. Some are just little slivers in the can and others are a very hard rectangle like they are supposed to be. You never really know how many grains you are shooting because they are so irregular in shape. Use T7 powder and use two more swabs per shot.

Quick Reply: American Pioneer Sticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.