Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 shooting down from tree stand >

shooting down from tree stand

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

shooting down from tree stand

Old 11-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Default shooting down from tree stand

Hello guys,
I am in the process of buying an 'in-line' muzzle loader CVA Hunterbolt 209 and wonder if it is possible to shoot deers or other games with muzzle loader from a tree stand. Do the powder pellets and sabot slide down the barrel? If it is able to shoot, how accuracy compared with shooting on the flat/horizonal terrain?
Thanks a lot

Old 11-04-2005, 03:53 PM

Default RE: shooting down from tree stand

I hunt froma treestand better than 95% of the time with a muzzleloader. It is very acceptable. I hang my gun on a hook with the barrel pointing upward, unless precipitation is falling. It is wise to check the load at the beggining of each hunt to se if it has moved. Make a mark on your rod after it is loaded. This will be a reference point in the future. If the load moves you can check it by the mark on your ramrod.

As far as the angle of shot from a treestand it all depends on the sharpness of the angle. There should not be much of a difference. Just remember that you want to hit a little higher if aiming at a steep downward angle. An inch or two higher will ensure that you get a double lung shot instead of a single lung shot, if you do your part.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:59 PM

same here,I have never had a problem.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Certain projectiles in some rifles will move off a load if you were to have the barrel pointed at the ground and walked in... that is the reason for the advise to check you load on stand and make sure it has not moved. I've yet to have a load move off a powder charge while shooting out of a tree. I think that is because you are not really forcing the projectile to move off the load. Granted, if I loaded a minnie, I could stand in my treestand and shake that back out. But the key point is shake that back out. Most sabots are not going to move at all off a charge. I have talked to a person that claimed they had a powerbelt move off a charge in a Knight rifle. Due to their bore size, I have no reason to doubt them. Still, you have very little to worry about them falling out. Even with my smoothbore rifle.

As for the angle, it is the same as with any other rifle I have shot out of a tree stand. Not really a problem is what I am trying to say.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:00 PM

Anytime you are shooting at an extreme angle, either uphill or downhill, you need to account for the bullet hitting higher than it would on level ground. This is probably not a huge deal with a 60 yard shot out of a treestand - but all bullets start dropping the moment they leave the muzzle. We adjust our sights to account for this, and the line of the bore is pointing "uphill" when the sights are level. At distance, this can be a significant issue. There are volumes of stories from sheep hunters who shot over animals, either uphill or downhill, that they would have hit on level ground.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:06 PM

thank you guys for your wonderful inputs.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:43 PM

This is off the topic of shooting angles from a stand but ..........

In my Traditions Pursuit LT, the .240 GR XTP MAG's I used on top of 2 - 50 gr. Pyrodex pellets, load so tightly I can't fathom "falling out". I'm sure I would have a serious problem trying to pull a bullet. But then I thought, since I have only worked with this one bullet, perhaps the loading should be easier than what I experienced. It takes a lot of force to get the bullet/sabot started and then seated. Without the "T" handle I have attached to the ramrod, I don't think you could get enough leverage to load the bullet. The load seems to work just fine in my gun; I guess the question iswhat is "normal" if there is such a thing, as far as the amount of force needed to load a projectile. And having just typed that last line, I'm sure the responses would be from one end of the scale to the other.