Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 shooting from a tree stand >

shooting from a tree stand

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting from a tree stand

Old 10-10-2004, 08:25 PM

Default shooting from a tree stand

call me stupid, but i'm new to deer hunting...i was in my tree stand this evening, shot at a deer from 23 yds, missed high....my question is this, do i aim lower than i do when target practicing...i practice at 25 yds, but at ground level, my stand is exactly 14 feet up....during practice at ground level and 25 yards, i can hit a 4 inch circle consistantly.....i aimed at the kill zone, but was dissapointed to watch my arrow sail high, and yes, when i returned home, i checked my sights, they were right on...please help me....i shoot a crossbow.....thanks
Old 10-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting from a tree stand

Ifrank: You must draw your bow as you do on the ground. Arm out in front of you until you are at your anchor point. Then bend at the waist keeping you bow are infront of you until your on target. When you draw looking down or from a lower angle, you anchor point is lower. When your anchor point is lower, you must raise your pin to compensate. You now have a high impact on your target. Remember, draw straight and bend at the waist.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

He shoots a crossbow, I dont think much of that applies to him. And no, you shouldnt have to aim any lower or higher, Do a search on shooting from a treestand, there was a big topic on it a couple days ago.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:14 PM

It's always a good thing to practice above ground level as well. If you don't have any trees around to set up a stand to practice on, you may want to practice on a ladder. This might help.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot compound bow. I didn't have to aim lower. As suggested, there were couple threads regarding this issue, but it won't mean much to you since you shoot crossbow. The best suggestion that I have is to practice from that height to the ground and see if you need any adjustment. I would guess about 1" high, but try it out and see. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:34 AM

While I am not a crossbow shooter, I like to put a judo point on one arrow that I carry in the field with me. If i'm unsure of my sights, I'll shoot at a leaf or something to ensure that I can hit it. I do practice from all heights I'll hunt at, so I usually do this when I'm about ready to get down from the stand.

These points are also nice if a squirrel or something walks by!