Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 expected accuracy? >

expected accuracy?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

expected accuracy?

Old 10-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default expected accuracy?

This weekend at the range I fired 12 shots through the new Omega. The distance between the 2 farthest holes was 6 centermeters (just over 2 inches)
Being a newbie to BP shooting my only accuracyreference is with centerfire rifles.
I was shooting 2, 50g pyrodex pellets with 250g shockwaves. I wet and dry swab and wait 7-8 minutes between shots.
I'm looking forward to tinkering with powder loads and alternate bullets. in fact thats what I expect will be fun about owning a ML.

My question is what can I expect in accuracy from a ML.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: expected accuracy?

Danny, you did'nt mention the yardage, but I shoot
Hornady .50calXTP's with 80grs of Pyrodex Pellets and
it is deadly at 100-125yds. I imagine with 90-100grs of
pellets it will do 150-175yds easy. If I am with-in 4" at
those yardages, Im happy.
You lived in my county and you know that down here it's
short ranges at deer!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Reb,
it was 100 yards. I hunt in the deep woods here too. No question the gun is ready for use during ML season here since a 100 yard shot would be long.
I am really looking forward to tinkering with loads just to have some fun and see how accurate I can be.
I'm going to get a rest since all I use now is a towel over my gun case on a bench
Old 10-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Dominant Buck

That's good enough Danny! 2" @ 100? you have it why change? I have been using the Horadys .50cal .240grXTP's for the last 10yrs!

What you might try is 80 and 90grs to see if the POI changes and try at different yardages. Sometimes more does'nt mean better!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might try and back it down to 80g. If I can be as accurate it will save some $$$.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

I might try and back it down to 80g. If I can be as accurate it will save some $$$.
Have you tried a few shots off hand or with the use of a shooting stick while standing?
I forgot to mention, I shoot a Knight Wolverine .50calwith a camo stock and the
conversion to large rifle primers.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Spike

Danny -

Your groups sound very good. I was at the range today with my Omega SS Syn, and was shooting around a 2.5" group at 100 yds. with 250 gr spire tip shockwaves and 85 gr of T7. I know I am not holding perfectly still... even from the bench... so I am very happy with 2.5"... more than good enough for deer hunting.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reb,
I shoot from a shooting stick (single) when I hunt with a rifle. It is also what I practice from with my rifle. I find that unless I am within 50 yards I cannot keep groups less than 6" when I shoot offhand. Not yet anyway. I'm getting better.

The plan with the ML is the same. See where I am at with the groups then begin practicing with the stick. With the rifle I get the same groups from the stick as I do from the gun case and towel on the bench so I expect similar results with the ML

I do not reload with the centerfire so I try different factory loads and see which one it likes then stick with that. With the ML I am looking forward to developing loads for accuracy.
I probably wont do that this season though since I have huntable groups right now. I want to spend the next 45 days (that long till ML season here) just practicing with the gun from different hunting positions.

West,
I would have really liked the SS. I bet thats a great looking gun. I have the Z5.
I never had a ML before and thought that they were inacurate guns. Looks like i'm wrong there. At 100 yards the groups are real huntable. I dont have a range to try the longer shots to see what it's capable of . Then again where I hunt i'd be lucky to see a deer at 100 yards.
I'm new to hunting last year and have asked for lots of advice here about centerfires, Bows, Shotguns, and now the ML. Guys like Reb here have helped alot. Now I have all the seasons covered and am learning every day. As soon as They come out with the rock throwing season I'll be asking about quartz i guess