Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Pup worked better than expected! >

Pup worked better than expected!

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pup worked better than expected!

Old 12-11-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Pup worked better than expected!

I just got back from a 3 week long hunting trip in CO & KS. I took my 13mo old black lab with me to see what she'd do in the field. I figured I could use her to work the thick stuff and flush pheasants for me. I had never taken her into the field before or even shot over her until we got to KS. She figured out what I wanted her to do and when I shot over her, she just looked over her shoulder at me like she was asking "Ok dummy, where's the damned bird?" The first pheasant the I knocked down, she found for me, but didn't retrieve it. The next one was a wounded bird, she found it and was trying to get it out of the cover it had burrowed under. I had to leave for home before I could manage to knock down any more birds, but I think that she would have retrieved them had I shot them. She worked a nice pattern and didn't range out much past 20yrds. I'm pretty happy with my pup's performance given the lack of prior exposure to birds and gunfire.