Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need advise (HELP) on a scope for T/C Encore!!! >

Need advise (HELP) on a scope for T/C Encore!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need advise (HELP) on a scope for T/C Encore!!!

Old 10-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Spike

Default Need advise (HELP) on a scope for T/C Encore!!!

This subject may have been kicked around before, buthere it goes again! Since my eyes are gettingold and don't want to focus on the regular fiber optic sights, I really need a scope. I have looked at everything and anything but really don't know what's GOOD or what's BAD. I would like to stay within $225 and I know you get what you pay for, but I am sure there is something that is worthy.

Does anyone have any experience with and/or know who makes the scopes for the Bass ProRedhead brand or Cabela's brand?How about the Nikon Pro Staff SG/ML scope or the Leupold VX-1SG/BP scope? I'll take any advise if you can be so kind to give it.

Also I was wanting to use see-through rings but T/C told me that could be ahit or miss since the base mount mayobstruct the regular sights. Will take any good advise on this issue too!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need advise (HELP) on a scope for T/C Encore!!!

For that Price you really should go with a Simmons AETEC (if eye releif is important to you) a Burris Fullfield II, Bushnell Elite 3200 or a Sightron SII. These will all be better than what you listed... These are fully multicoated (on all lenses) and have 1/4 click adjustments. The nikon pro staff is an unimpressive entry level Nikon and the Leupold low ends are overpriced... They have friction adjustment and aren't fully multicoated. By the way I have nothing against Nikon (I have three Monarch UCC's) and I have a Leupold VX-II. Both good scopes, but probably slightly overpriced IMHO.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Spike

Thanks 'newguy23' for the suggestions. I have already done some research on what you have suggested. All were regarded as a very good choice in articles on theChuck Hawks site as well. I will beat this around for a day or so and then decide. Running out of time. I like to get as much info as possible before I ever jump into anything regardless of price. Thanks again.....

Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

The list newguy gave is what I'd suggest for your price range. I have a few elites and they have always performed well. My partner uses Aetecs and for the price they certainly appear to be a great bang for your buck. I also know a few guys with BurrisFFII and equally they do the job. I have no experience with Sightron but have heard nothing bad about the SII. So really either would work nicley, just try comparing them and pick which looks best to your eyes. If you aren't use to a scope Eye Relief might be a main goal and I believe the Aetec leads this list with 4" min of ER. The rest are 3-4, some constant while others variable so make sure you consider this stat on the data sheets as well.

As far as rings and mounts, stay away from the see thru's. The first reason is they cause your scope to mounted high, which can cause you to lift off your cheek weld and it may effect your shooting. The second reason they are of weak construction and suspect to shifting POI...something you don't want in a mount! Stick to the 2 piece or 1 piece & getthering sizethat allows you mount the scope as close to the barrel as possible(the scope objective or bell must clear the barrel or you risk damage). I prefer leupold rings and bases but their are many others weaver, tally, etc.

Best of luck
Old 10-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bushnell_legend.htm

I read this artical on the Bushnell Legend 2-7x32mm and I looked up some other reviews on the scope just to double check and I have to admit Bushnell is a great scope. You might consider this one.

I have a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5x32mm on my Black Diamond XR and it is an outstanding scope. The clarity of the scope is excellent. Last deer season I could look into the woods at the end of the day, where I was watching a monster buck during our doe season, long after my binoculars were not longer able to gather enough light for the job. I always said I wished I had got the 2-7 or 3-9 simply for range work where the extra magnification would be nice.

On my other muzzleloader I have a Sightron 3-9x40mm and I have to admit I am truely impressed with this scope. The clarity is excellent and the increased magnification is really handy on the range. I like to keep it on 6X and find I can do a lot of excellent shooting there.

As for a see through mount.. why? You put a scope on the rifle for the increased optic ability. I want my scope low to the rifle where it is best served. That way I am not cranking my neck out of wack and off the stock to get "that perfect sight picture." BesidesI have two rifles with see through mounts and have never used the iron sights since I put them on.

Instead I would consider some excellent bases and quick release rings. I would look into the Leupod or Weaver. I had a Burris quick release and they did not return to 0 for me. I've read a lot of good things about the Leupod and Weaver...

Just my two cents.. I just hate paying more money for a scope then I did for my rifle. With a muzzleloader I have no intention of shooting 300 plus yards.....
Old 10-25-2005, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

Buddy,, i hope you have more luck than im having with this issue,,,I ordered a weaver grand slam3.5x10x50 scope for my encore not worrying about rings and bases when i placed my order due to the fact that i have Dicks sporting goods ,,Galyans,,,and a few other local gun shops close to my house where i just knew that i could get the rings & bases . Well let me tell ya!!!!!!!!! Im surrounded by a bunch of idiots,,nobody carries the leupold QR (quick release) which is what i really want for the gun due to the fact that i wanted to switch the scope from the ML barrel to a 243 barrel for my wife to shoot,,,those who dont carry the QR's told me that they never heard of a QR rig,,,i have one hope left,,,one local gun shop has a weaver QR that he says is made by leupold but he's not sure if he has high rings(high rings needed for the 50mm front bell). The reason i bought the scope was because a friend of mine who shoots nothing but leupolds told me that he was really impressed with the grand slam series of scopes and he set up his encore in the same way as i am trying to and the scope was/is on sale at Natchez shooters supply for $294.00. I got the scope yesterday and wow!! im really impressed with its clarity now if i can just find the right mounts,,even if i have to mount it solid in dual dovetail mounts.By no means am i trying to discourage you with this post,,,just trying to give ya some food for thought when it comes to making your decisions on scope purchases. Im so happy with this encore that im sure all these current issues im having will still be well worth it when it comes down to shooting it.

Good luck this season
Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 on my Encore and I love it! I like the fog proof feature since in Muzzleloader Season (at least here in IN) we have all different types of weather.
I also have Leupold scopes and I like them as well.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

rem700man, have you inquired about the Leupold QRW's? I found the same thing here with the QR's but all stocked the QRW's. They work on weaver bases and therefore are a cheaper solution. This and the fact weaver have themarket share when it comes to mounts I believe is the reason shops say HUH or don't have the QR's. You could also try to locateWarne Quick Detatch rings, they also work on weaver style bases. Both are available in high ringsfor the 50mm objective.

The other option of course is mail order, cabelas stocks the WarnesQD's & Leuy QR's.

I feel your pain []and ended up putting on a set of DD's that I had on hand.

Best of luck.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:15 AM

I'm not sure why people generally stick to the lower power scopes for muzzleloading. I use a nikon buckmasters with 4.5-14x40 power, its the newer model with side focus. I love it, it works great, and it allows for a much closer sight picture. It's a little higher than you might want to pay. I paid $249 on ebay. This scope on top of my thompson center omega(laminate thumbhole stock) gets one inch groups at 100 yards.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:23 PM

With all the QD rings out there, don't overlook the regular Weaver rings. If you initially tighten them fairly firm with a screwdriver, remove, then retighten with a quarter after that. They can be removed and reattached with no loss of zero, as long as you only use a quarter and tighten about as much as you can with the .25 cent piece.

Quick Reply: Need advise (HELP) on a scope for T/C Encore!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.