Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Primers

Old 10-31-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Remington Primers

Is there a difference between the Remington Kleenbore primers and the Remington 209 premier STS primers?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington Primers

cpeay

There is if you are talking about the new Kleenbores for muzzleloaders. The STS-209 is remington's normal primer for shot gun shells.

The new Kleenbore's are designed for muzzloading - I have been using Remington 209-4 Premier Primers for years now. They were designed for the 410 shotgun, but a lot of people were using them hoping to reduce the amount 'crud" that t7 left in the barrel. The new Kleenbore was brought out to replace them as well as charge you a whole more money for the product.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:14 PM

I had the Remington ML fail to ignite 777 pellets, won't use them anymore, using the Winchester, a lot hotter primer. Use American Pioneer Powder, only use the 777 if I have to reload in the field. Got a 145 lb field dressed buck at 135 yards with my Omega, 3 777 pellets and 348 Powerbelt, really knocked him on his rear, neck shot.Had shot under one the day before at 120 yards, reloaded with the 777's that I used on the one I shot.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:57 PM
Spike

Just started shooting a ML this year and haven't used anything but the Remington Kleanbore primers. Really can't make any comparison with other brands. But I've hadno problems with them in my Encore and not much of a mess after 15 - 20 shots. I don'tplan to changeeven if the cost is a bit higher.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:55 PM

Two weekends ago at the range, I fired 110 grains of BM3 behind300 grain Shockwaves using both Winchester and Remington Kleanbore primers (first time using the Kleanbores). The point of impact for the Kleanbores was about 6" low at 100 yards compared to the Winchesters. I suspect the Kleanbores may not be hot enough to get full power from the BM3. Has anyone out therechronographed the velocity of BM3 with Kleanbores?

Paul (rabbitbuster)

"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." -- Marcus Aurelius
Old 11-01-2005, 05:37 PM

I know you can fire the Remingtons without a load and they just pop, Winchesters bang and fire comes out the muzzle...........
Old 11-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I've only experimented a little with the new Remington Kleenbore Primers. I've only shot off three quarters of a tray which is hardly enough to form an opinion. So far, I really do not see the benefit in them. The reason for them was an attempt to reduce the crud ring which was being formed in many rifles using Triple Se7en powder for the most part. Face it, all powders leave a crud ring of sorts. The problem is around the degree of hardness created in the crud ring.

Since I shoot very little Triple Se7en, I never experience a hard crud ring. I do experience fowling, and like the rest of you, I swab it out. The reason I was trying the new brand of primers was some problems I had with the Black Diamond breech plug nipple. I at first attributed it to the primer but perhaps it was simple a matter of old age for the nipple. Further testing will answer that I guess. I have not had any ignition problems using them in a Thompson Center, Knight nor CVA of course I do not shoot pellets and most often shoot Goex.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:56 PM

I went shooting with the Remington 209 premier STS primers today. They left a huge crud ring. Don't think I will use themagain.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:46 PM
MRE

I switched to Rem Kleenbore primers from CCI primers and my crud ring greatly decreased. The second and third shot were as easy to load as the first.