Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 red dot sight on muzzleloader?? >

red dot sight on muzzleloader??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

red dot sight on muzzleloader??

Old 10-13-2005, 11:12 PM

Default red dot sight on muzzleloader??

i was wanting to try a red dot scope for next year on my ML but was worried about recoil,,if it would be a problem with them. Also was wondering who has one on there ML and how well u like it and i am also lookin for suggestions on which one to get,,any ideas??
Old 10-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: red dot sight on muzzleloader??

I use a Bushnell Trophy RED DOT. They are a great close range optic. I do not find them of any advantage past 100 yards, in fact just the opposite. My RED DOT has 11 brightness settings and 4 reticle settings. The 3 MOA is the one I use all most 99.9% of the time. This is supposed to give you a 3" bull area at 100 yards. Of course, that's in a perfect world. If you move at all it is not hard to spread that out to 4 or even 5 inches. Still acceptable for hunting, but not really for fine target shooting.

Also the red as I said has 11 brightness settings. You change the settings according to the exterior light you encounter. The darker it gets, the better chance the red dot will increase in brightness. As they increase in brightness they can grow a "tail" like a half moon. This could be simply because I wear glasses also. You have to learn to ignore the half moon.

At ranges of 50 yards and under they are deadly. You put the dot where you want it to hit and fire. Another option for the red dot if scopes are legal but you want the lighted dot is a scope by Mueller Scope Company. They are variable power scopes with a lighted red dot in the center. I have never used one, but have seen them being used on TV.

Another thing to watch when you or if you purchase a RED DOT is the base on the red dot. If your scope is a two piece base, then make sure the base of the RED DOT can open enough to match up to the base. Some of the better RED DOTS out there are based on how much you want to spend. You can get a RED DOT for as little as $69.00 and they can go up to as much as a couple hundred dollars.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:25 AM

depending on how much you want to spend I would look into a bushnell holosight. They have unlimited eye releif andare real quick getting on a target. Something important if you stalk or drive corners.My Dad has one on his muzzleloader and rifle.He can't see theopen sights anymore very well so he had to do something.The new models you can get right around 200. As cayugad pointed out these are for close range. If you plan on shooting out over 100 yards i'd stick with a regular scope. Also my brother has a red dot on his muzzleloader and seems to like it, but again most of his shots are within 50 yards.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

There is a RED DOT out on the market that is made in China. It is called Winchester.. so they must have bought the rights to use the name as I am sure it has nothing to do with them. Anyway, I saw one in a gun shot. It is a 40mm unlike mine which is a 28mm which limits the view. I also saw them on sale for around $69.00. The guy at the gun shop that was selling them of course claimed they were great RED DOTS. Whether they are any good I could not say. The idea of the larger field of view seemed like a good idea.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:45 PM

Cayu I'll have to check on that later this week when I get back into work. I know TruGlo actually builds the majority of the red dots on the market. I have a 45mm TruGlo on my 835 Ulti-Mag and it looks just like the one in your pic. I also have a 3 dot red dot on my Ten Point TL 4 Titan and it too looks just like a TruGlo product.

As for the question about their durability. I can assure you that I haven't EVER fired a smokepole that rivals the beating my 835 dishes out. I shoot 3.5" 2 1/4oz 4x6x7.5 HeviShot Nitros in my ol Mossberg and it treats the scope and shooter like the hammer of Thor! I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my smokepole. Personally if I were going to put a red dot on my ML it would probably be the 2x red dot that TruGlo has out. We have a few in the store that we put on some crossbow packages and they are really neat for folks with bad eyesight or at longer distances. They would be great for shooting over 100yds IMHO!

Good luck,
RA
Old 10-19-2005, 09:29 PM

anyone else have any suggestions??
Old 10-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Honestly, I think a quality plex reticle type scope of some flavor would be better for deer or other large game hunting. Plus at longer ranges beyond 75 yards, you could end up regretting having went with a holographic sight.

Holographic sights are typically best in short range, close quarters, quick target aquision shooting such as bird, foul, law enforcement or military.

Normally you are hunting from a concealment position or quiet stalkingthus quick surprise targeting is not required. And shooting at a deer on the run is an optimistic shot at best.

Not sayingaholographic sightwould not work on an ML, it wouldbut I would rather have a quality scope on mine every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Best,

Tahquamenon
Old 10-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

The only problem with a scope on some muzzleloaders are in certain States like Wisconsin, during muzzleloader season, they are illegal. Nothing with magnification or anything that projects a sight likea laser is allowed. That was the reason I went to the RED DOT. It was that or fiber optics. Not that the fiber optic sights are not great, because they are, just that I wanted one rifle equipped different.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:07 PM

most of my shots will be with in 50yrd and all with in 100,,mainly cause there is less of a chance of me missing at close range cause i feel more confident with takin a close range shoot over a long range shot,,
Old 10-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Of course if there are regulations that limit optic's use then perhaps a scope might not be the best way to go.

But that was not the gist of the topic.