Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Vinegar?

Old 09-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Vinegar?

Well, I saw the thread on Bore Butter, and got to thinking about what I use to clean my muzzle loader with. This summer I have just started using Windex with vinegar added to clean my muzzle loader. It is all I use. I used clean with only hot water and soap, then run some bore butter patches down the barrel to protect from rust. Well, even in my dry climate, I have gotten rust. So this summer I changed my habits. Total shots has been maybe 60 this summer or so. I have cleaned it maybe 7-8 times (after each session). I simply run patches with the Windex with Vinegar down the bore, until they come out almost clean, then run a couple dry patches down the bore, then put one dry patch down, leave it on the jag, then pop a couple of caps, and pull the patch out to be sure everything is dry. Thats all I do, and have since not gotten 1 bit of rust on my rifle. I use T/C Bore Butter on my T/C conicals (literally falling in love with them, really see no need to change, but would really like to see the 320 grain brought back so I can use it on deer). My patches for my roundballs are lubed with ummm... Bore Butter. I also have some Buffalo Ball et's, but have not shot them in a while, since I have found the T/C's shoot so well. I really have no way of knowing how to get that lube off anyway, but have just shot them the way they come in the past.

So, I guess I am asking if I should eventually see any negative effects from using the Windex with Vinegar in it on my rifle? I figured I am in a position now that I could stop using it, and be ok, if it would cause any negative effects.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Vinegar?

Good luck I would not fire the caps,
Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree with Pittsburghunter.. what is the reason for the caps?Wouldn't the caps throw a small bit of fowling back into the breech? I could understand cleaning the barrel with the Windex and vinegar but in order to dry it, if you do not want to pour boiling water down the barrel, perhaps some patches with isopropyl alcohol which is supposed to help displace any water left in the barrel. Then some dry patches, until they come out dry. After that you can bore butter it or oil it what ever you wish. I personally like Birchwood Casey Sheath to protect the barrel.

Actually I can never remember using anything with vinegar in it to clean steel barrels... does it pull fowling well?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

You'll see no negative effects from it. It's what I carry when shooting...course when I get home I use hot soapy water. Also...Windex with vinegar or "Family Dollar" Glass Cleaner with Vinegar is all I've ever usedin my cartridge gun...out shootingand at home. Good stuff.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:33 PM

I have been using the Windex with Vinegar for about three years now. I like the way it cuts through the fouling. No rust issues. Recently, however, I tried Cayugad's summer washer fluid and rubbing alcohol mix- I think it is a little better as a swabbing mixture. Maybe mixing the Windex with Vinegar with rubbing alcohol would be even better?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Roskoe.. that's whatI was thinking too...
Old 09-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input. For the question on the caps, I guess it is to make sure I burn everything out so there is no liquid anywhere in the muzzleloader at all. But then again, I can do that before shooting also (caps), which I do anyway. I will throw that step out then. As for cutting through the fowling - I think it does a wonderful job. I can shoot 4 shots straight (practice with one charge in the barrel, then 3 consecutive speed loaders) without cleaning at all, and go through about 15 patches total. If run a patch between each shot (one wet, one dry), then clean, it is usually about 10 wet patches when doing a thorough cleaning. That is with Pyrodex. Goex is a few more patches. Don't use any other propellants.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:35 PM

Went to the range this morning. Upon returning, I decided to compare the Windex with Vinegar mixed with rubbing alcohol to the window washer fluid mixed with rubbing alcohol. Couldn't really tell any difference. Cleaned one gun with solution A and one gun with solution B. Once each was showing clean patches, I tried a patch of the other solution in each gun to see if I could get additional nasties out of it. Both came out clean.