HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Vinegar?
Thread: Vinegar?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 05:28 PM
charlie brown
Nontypical Buck

Default Vinegar?

Well, I saw the thread on Bore Butter, and got to thinking about what I use to clean my muzzle loader with. This summer I have just started using Windex with vinegar added to clean my muzzle loader. It is all I use. I used clean with only hot water and soap, then run some bore butter patches down the barrel to protect from rust. Well, even in my dry climate, I have gotten rust. So this summer I changed my habits. Total shots has been maybe 60 this summer or so. I have cleaned it maybe 7-8 times (after each session). I simply run patches with the Windex with Vinegar down the bore, until they come out almost clean, then run a couple dry patches down the bore, then put one dry patch down, leave it on the jag, then pop a couple of caps, and pull the patch out to be sure everything is dry. Thats all I do, and have since not gotten 1 bit of rust on my rifle. I use T/C Bore Butter on my T/C conicals (literally falling in love with them, really see no need to change, but would really like to see the 320 grain brought back so I can use it on deer). My patches for my roundballs are lubed with ummm... Bore Butter. I also have some Buffalo Ball et's, but have not shot them in a while, since I have found the T/C's shoot so well. I really have no way of knowing how to get that lube off anyway, but have just shot them the way they come in the past.

So, I guess I am asking if I should eventually see any negative effects from using the Windex with Vinegar in it on my rifle? I figured I am in a position now that I could stop using it, and be ok, if it would cause any negative effects.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Thanks