Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 vinegar or alcohol vegatation killer >

vinegar or alcohol vegatation killer

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

vinegar or alcohol vegatation killer

Old 06-01-2004, 11:52 AM

Default vinegar or alcohol vegatation killer

has anyone ever use this instead of roundup? i have read vinegar+dishliquid or alcohol+water will kill weeds and grass.
how soon can you plant after using these mixtures? thanks
Old 06-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: vinegar or alcohol vegatation killer

Never heard of it, but it may work. If nobody else has a suggestion I would try a small sample mixture in the backyard or somewhere and see if it works. It will probably be more expensive in the long run than Roundup or similar sprays.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Shoot Im an agronomist and I have never heard of that one, and man I have heard of alot of things to try. But never a home made herbicide, other than a hoe.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of mixes like you're listing to kill insects on the plants but not to kill the plants themselves.

Dan O.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

it's probably nonselective.

i can buy a gallon of generic roundup for about $32.10 with tax, it has surfactant in it. most application rates recommend 1 quart per acre. so my cost per acre would be $8, thats less than a penny per square yard. one dollars worth of the generic roundup will do 1/8th of an acre, or 73 square feet. the alcohol or vinegar would probably work, but if you are doing it in any larger scale than a backyard garden, it would be cost ineffective. my 2 cents (and dollar, and eight dollars, and thirty two dollars )
Old 06-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

If it doesnt kill your weeds I bet it would really make your windows shine.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have seen/read in grazing priodiclas that there has been "research" on using vinegar for a "natural" weed killer (mostly in reference to thistles).
it has been reported to work
i would suggest searching the web for "natural herbicides, vinegar weed killer, thistle control" etc.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:26 AM

Another urban legend....

A few years ago, there was a rumor that ran across North Dakota that you could spray Clorox on wheat that had pigeongrass (foxtail) and the Clorox would kill the pigeongrass. Was a great year for Bleach sales....
Old 06-06-2004, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

I've heard of using gin, as juniper has been reported to have some non-selective killing properties (I don't know if that is true). However, most cheap gins only have juniper flavoring so the economical benefit is lost. Txaggie, my wife says to pass on a gig em to a fellow alum.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:52 AM

I have used Gin and Tonic tank mixed with a little lime and ice to ward off mosquitos..I have yet to suffer from malaria or West Nile Virus. I do think that the more expensive gins and schweppes Tonic performs best.

Quick Reply: vinegar or alcohol vegatation killer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.