Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bear load

Old 08-25-2005, 08:17 AM

Default bear load

hi guys i was wondering if this is a good load for black bear it spot and stalk in ma. i have a cva kodiak for deer. right know iam using 100gr 777, 295powerbelts, any info would be great
Old 08-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bear load

ORIGINAL: jamiebuck

hi guys i was wondering if this is a good load for black bear it spot and stalk in ma. i have a cva kodiak for deer. right know iam using 100gr 777, 295powerbelts, any info would be great
==================================

I would prefer the 348 Aero-Tips myself. Bear have been harvested with as little as a .177 gr. roundball.... but more is always better when you're facing a black bear with a single-shot ML.

Whatever bullet you decide to use, be sure to have either a protective hunting blind or a.357 to .45 cal backup pistola with you. On rare occasions, a poorly placed bear shot will make it one angry &vengeful SOB.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Like Triple Se7en said, with bear... more is better in my opinion also. I am sure the 295 powerbelt and that much powder would be more then enough, but an Aero Tip would not hurt.. Be sure to know a bear's anatomy well, and place that shot where you do the most damage. Good luck with your bear hunt. They are exciting to hunt.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

[align=left]
Lightfield Calls It
"Devastating Deer Performance"
During that all-important split second immediately after a slug is fired and prior to its exiting the barrel, each design ensures that maximum spin is imparted to the locked sabot/slug assembly. Once free of the gun barrel the designs produce incredible projectile stability through both the supersonic and especially the subsonic phases of the slug's flight. Maximized projectile spin rate and flight stability are the most important factors when incomparable consistency and accuracy are the goals.
[/align]
The Technology Behind the Design
Did you know that same-gauge shotgun bore sizes vary significantly from barrel to barrel and manufacturer to manufacturer? Because of this bore size problem, it is virtually impossible to shoot accurate groups using typical slugs, especially at longer distances. The Lightfield slug eliminates the inherent inaccuracy associated with this bore size variation limitation through its innovative design. When fired, the pressure build-up behind the projectile forces the locked slug/sabot assembly to expand to the actual full bore size of all shotgun barrels regardless of the manufacturer. Once expanded, the locked sabot/slug assembly takes full advantage of the barrel rifling, maximizes spin and ensures an incredibly accurate flight path.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON OUR MUZZLELOADING BULLETS
Old 08-25-2005, 05:58 PM

thank you guys very much ythe 348 are the way to go , its my first year in ma. hunting bears ive been to maine but use my bow on a baited site, we cant use shotguns in ma. but we can use rifles just for bear only but i sold mine years ago
Old 09-18-2005, 07:46 PM

Keith Nose hollowpoints from PRBullet seated on whatever charge you choose - splat!