Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Inline- grease breech and nipple or what? >

Inline- grease breech and nipple or what?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline- grease breech and nipple or what?

Old 10-01-2002, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Inline- grease breech and nipple or what?

Been using the plain old bore butter on the breech plug threads for 3 seasons now with the inline and not a problem. I also use a 1/2" copper fitting brush, you know the kind the plumbers use to clean the inside of sweat fittings to clean out the threads on the breech itself as the bore butter will gum up in these and cause problems. You only need to put a tiny bit of BB on the leading threads (I put 3 evenly spaced dots on to ensure coating)of the plug, to much and it will ooze out toward the rear once installed. If you can see a fine yellow bead at the back of the breech plug you did it right.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

On my Savage 10ML and 10ML-II's, I use only Permatex Anti-Sieze, both the silver and copper. It is available at just about any auto parts store. When shooting smokeless powders in the Savage's nothing else will hold up the pressures and heat. Works greats, last a long time, and a little bit goes a long way.

Old 10-07-2002, 04:02 PM

I have used Bore Butter on all my muzzlelaoders, except for my Traditions LD, I tried bore butter, Breech plug grease, and the plug froze every time. Well I got some of the pink teflon tape Underclock recommended and it worked great, now I am ready for them Coyotes, and maybe a hog or two.