Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Breech Plug Grease or Tape >

Breech Plug Grease or Tape

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug Grease or Tape

Old 06-21-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Breech Plug Grease or Tape

I had a hard time getting my breach plug out after firing about 30 rounds at the range. I was getting a little worried for a moment. I thought it my be really stuck. Can anyone tell me the best product to use to prevent a stuck breach plug?
Old 06-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Breech Plug Grease or Tape

The best stuff I have found is CVA BREECH PLUG AND NIPPLE GREASE. I have tried a lot of them and IT IS THE BEST. Another thing to do is, never tighten the breech plug in all the way. Tighten the plug in and then turn it off a 1/4 turn. After about 5-8 shots, take your wrench and give the breech plug a turn. Work it back and fourth. I do this every 10 shots afterward while swabbing and other duties like wiping out the breech/nipple area. This will make sure it is not seizing up. You will have no more problems.

If your at a range and going to have a long drive home, be sure and loosen the breech plug before you start your trip.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:25 PM

Cayugad, where do you purchase your CVA Breechplug and Nipple Grease?? I am using T/C's breech plug grease:

How does it compare to the CVA grease? I would be willing to try the CVA plug grease if I could find it somewhere.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

I've fought this battle with my Knight when using 777 powder and I've found only 2 solutions so far.

The Breech Plug tape does a great job! Also the CVA Slick Grease Plug/Nipple Grease will get the job done too. No other grease or anti-seize I've tried have worked well with 777 for me.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

#U21086

CVA Breechplug & Nipple Grease

Because I use magnum powder charges 777 FFF in my T/C Omega, I "completely' cover the breechplug threads -- screw the plug in -- remove the plug so a portion remains coated on the inside bore threads -- re-administer more grease -- then hand-tighten. No problems afterwards... it's the best stuff out there.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:08 PM

i use cva nipple grease. you can get it at cabelas and most other sporting/shooting stores.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

T/C Gorilla greese is the best thing I have found so far.Its the only thing I found to work when I was trying the 777.Never had a problem with the breech plug when using black powder,pyro,clean shot.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to use the T/C Breech plug grease until the one evening I was unable to get the breech plug to come loose. I ended up snapping the wrench that came with the rifle trying to free it. I finally had to pull the scope and take the rifle to the shop. I poured boiling hot water through it and got it in a vice and finally with a 7/16th wrench was able to force it free. After that I switched to CVA Slick Breech plug and nipple grease and have never had a problem since.

I also loosen it after every 5-10 shots just to be sure. A stuck plug is not a fun thing to have....
Old 06-21-2004, 08:26 PM

I did a little checking, and I see that Graf & Sons here in MO carry the CVA Slick Breech Plug/Nipple grease in their latest catalog. Next time I get up an order from them, I will order a tube and try it.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:48 AM

It seems that most of the replies agree that CVA breech plug grease works well. Thank to everyone for taking the time to help with a question.

Quick Reply: Breech Plug Grease or Tape

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.