Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Inline- grease breech and nipple or what? >

Inline- grease breech and nipple or what?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline- grease breech and nipple or what?

Old 09-29-2002, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Inline- grease breech and nipple or what?

I am wondering what everybody does? I have 700 MLS, I use to use teflon tape on the threads of the breech and nipple...nightmare to clean, place, etc. Then tried BP Breech grease...can't find it here anymore. Then went to lith or graphite grease, by far the easiest of the first 3...but heard it isn't suppose to be good for ML's. Finally last season I went nothing, however I noticed when at the range with this method it is tight to get it apart for cleaning.

So what do you do?

How long will you leave a unfired charge and bullet in if not fired? I clean if it is wet outside, etc at the end of the day. However if dry and stable and I am going out again I will leave it up to a week?

So whats your ritual?

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2002, 08:52 PM

Default RE: Inline- grease breech and nipple or what?

I use Anti-Seize on the threads of the breech plug and nipple in my 700ml and it works great. You can get it at Acklands. It is made by Loc-Tite. I have left my gun charged for a whole season without any problems. Do you have a scope on your gun? I put 2 on mine and could not get it to shoot a good group, I finally saw that the gun was tapped off center and the bases were canted over to one side. It shoots great groups with the open sights. I'm gonna try the Burris rings with the inserts to try to center the scope.

Old 09-29-2002, 09:09 PM

I use Wonder Lube on both the breech plug and the nipple of my MLS. It seems work for me! I have a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 on mine with Leupold Dual Dovetail rings and bases. Very solid combination.

Shoot Straight,

SmokePole

Edited by - SmokPol on 09/29/2002 22:10:41
Old 09-29-2002, 09:13 PM

skhunter, you should try to send the gun back to Remington. The receiver is drilled and tapped in the factory, so they should repair it for free. Just a thought!

Shoot Straight,

SmokePole

Edited by - SmokPol on 09/29/2002 22:14:23
Old 09-29-2002, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the Knight breach plug grease on both the breach plug and nipple of my Traditions and the only time I had a problem getting the breach plug out was after I had spent an entire day on the range (30 shots or so) without removing and regreasing the plug. It still separated with only a little extra effort. I plan to use it on my new Knight too...it works well.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Old 09-30-2002, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

Try some Gorlia greese from T/C it really works great.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...ght&encore.jpg
Old 09-30-2002, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use white lithium grease. I don't think the Knight grease is any big
scientific formula. It just comes in a small nicely advertised package for a lot of money.

Old 09-30-2002, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2002, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. Never thought of bore butter or wonder lube...good idea. Lith grease worked well, but a guy at a local store said it wasn't good for ML's...however a lot of BS is thrown around in those places.

Old 09-30-2002, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use pink teflon tape which you can find at stores like Lowes. It's heavier duty than the white stuff and works very well.

Quick Reply: Inline- grease breech and nipple or what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.