Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Triple 7 review- I love this stuff! >

Triple 7 review- I love this stuff!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7 review- I love this stuff!

Old 10-06-2002, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Triple 7 review- I love this stuff!

This is perhaps the easiest cleaning powder I've ever used. Swabbing between shots with a spit patch then a dry patch takes 90% of the fouling off. It takes 5 minutes to clean the bore once I got home, compared to 30+ minutes to clean the primer fouling out of the bolt and breachplug. Up until now I'd always dreaded cleaning after shooting black powder and even Pyrodex, so the muzzleloader would usually stay home when I went to the range. Triple 7 is easier to clean than any gun I've evey shot.

Plus T7 is so hot that, using T7 3Fg, 100 grains blasts the bullet out as fast or faster than 150 grains pyrodex RS powder or pellets. A little seems to go a long way.

T7 also is just as accurate as the Pyrodex Select I had been shooting. This is more just my personal observation, since I haven't done any side-by-side testing of both through the same gun. I also tend to favor a slightly hotter load and sacrifice a bit of accuracy (I'll never hunt with a gun that won't shoot 3" groups at 100 yards with a given powder charge and bullet) for the benefit of stopping power.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Muzzleloading- Once you go black, you'll never go back!!
Old 10-07-2002, 02:11 PM

Default RE: Triple 7 review- I love this stuff!

I love tripple 7 too. I dumped the rest of my pyrodex. No sulpher smell, easy clean up too.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Triple 7 review- I love this stuff!

What really amazes me is how clean the bore is between shots just by swabbing with a spit patch followed by a dry patch between shots. The bore is actually a little shiny. No build-up either. I have 3/4 of a box of Pyrodex pellets and half a pound of Pyrodex RS Select that I doubt I'll use. Triple 7 is definately a winner.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Muzzleloading- Once you go black, you'll never go back!!