Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 factory .45 auto load for bear defense help >

factory .45 auto load for bear defense help

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

factory .45 auto load for bear defense help

Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 PM

Default factory .45 auto load for bear defense help

I am tryin to find a good non-fmj factory .45 load for my XD-45. If I am out hunting I will typically take the 629 but I have encountered bear on my property and sometimes I will just have my carry gun and I would like a clip loaded for this purpose to keep handy in the truck. short of reloading what do you guys recommend. I'm thinkin if I cannot find any shells then I will rely on, if the first round don't get it the next thirteen will.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: factory .45 auto load for bear defense help

I'm sure others will agree with me on this, the .45 ACP is a little anemic for bear defense. If I had to use one I would probably go with 230 gr. Golden Sabers.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Buffalo Bore makes some pretty hot 45acp +P loads. You might want to look at them.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If all I had was a 45....I'd rather be me, thana black bear!! If your not talking about black bears then carry your 44. I agree with redline, check out Buffalo. It seems all their stuff is maximum for factory loads.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 PM
bigcountry

Well, the last thing you want is a hollow point. You want a FMJ with a low powered round like a 45.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well, the last thing you want is a hollow point. You want a FMJ with a low powered round like a 45.
Big country is absolutely correct! I have shot a few bears, and have done penetration testing of various handguns on bear skulls. In .45 ACP, the most reliable has been just plain old GI 230-grain hardball. A good hard-cast lead alloy semiwadcutter of the same weight might do as well, if your pistol will feed them reliably. Such a bullet might tend to glance less on the sloping forehead of a bear with its nose coming at you. No handgun will reliably stop a bear unless you disrupt its brain or spinal chord.

If a bear is coming at you on all fours (charging!!), aim for the tip of its nose & put the bullet right up the nasal passages.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:43 AM

I forgot to mention it is just black bear. Largest I saw over there was only about 250-300lbs during bow season but they are around there quite regularly. Does anyone make any good hardcast +P loads? Or will I have to just suck it up and order the additional dies for my collection. If so anyone have any recommended loads?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 2006HighSierra

I forgot to mention it is just black bear. Largest I saw over there was only about 250-300lbs during bow season but they are around there quite regularly. Does anyone make any good hardcast +P loads? Or will I have to just suck it up and order the additional dies for my collection. If so anyone have any recommended loads?
I use the Lyman .452423 cast of wheelweights. I heat-treat them for deep penetration loads using 7.3 grains of Unique. V of my load @ 10' from the muzzle is 998 FPS. I shoot this in a Colt Gold Cup, and have never had a bulged case. But it is certainly a +P load. So approach with caution!! I put a Wolf #26 recoil spring in the gunfor shooting this load.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great question. I will also be packing my 45ACP in September in Northwest Montana on an archery elk hunt. I will more than likely be having the mag in the gun loaded with FMJs and my spares loaded with HPs.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Add me to the list that thinks that you need a solid, rather than JHP or JSP ammo. The .45 makes a decent sized hole, so you're going to want something that'll penetrate.

I use the 200 gr. SWC from these folks: http://www.precisionbullets.com/ for competition. I reload with 4.6 gr. of 700X and get about 875 fps (enough to make major, but still a relatively light load). I would think that this bullet would also penetrate pretty well, but, haven't used it on anything bigger or more dangerous than paper targets and cottontails...

Quick Reply: factory .45 auto load for bear defense help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.