Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm psyched!!

Old 08-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Spike

Default I'm psyched!!

My T/C Omega (.50, SST, Synth.) arrived today from Natchez. I have some Black Mag 3 on order and expect to have it by early next week. I had already purchased some accessories locally. I have put together the following:

1 lb. tripple seven loose powder
100 -Remington 209 Clean Primers
30 -250 grain spire point shock waves
16 -295 hollow point power belts
5 - 240 grain xtp (came with gun)
Powder measure
Powder can funnel top
Cleaning patches
Bore Butter
.50 brass brush
Limbsaver Recoil pad (will try stock pad first... this may go back)

I was going to try open sites first (and probably still will), but I think a scope will be my next purchase. I'm going conservative here... looking at the Bushnell Banner 3-9x40, based on some great recommendations from this site.

I will have to wait until Monday to get to the range... it's killin me!!

Thanks to all for the good advice I have gotten on this site... particularly from cayugad... I became convinced loose powder was the way to go!

A couple of questions...

1. the ramrod that came with the rifle will dissappear about 2" into the barrel with no charge or projectile... it this normal? The owner's manual shows several inches of the ramrod sticking out when a charge and projectile is loaded... I assume you must attach a loading jag to the ramrod each time you load?

2. Do I need to purchase a cleaning solution to swab with between shots, or is the 50/50 windex with ammonia - alcohol solution just as good?

I'm sure I will be back with many additional "newbie" questions... thanks for all the patience and help!!

-
Old 08-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I'm psyched!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=322442 Something that will help you with loading and cleaning your rifle is a T- handle short starter ramrod extention. The small end screws off and that in turn screws into the end of your ramrod. This will extend the ramrod for when you have to clean it, it also gives you extra leverage in case you have to pull something like a stuck cleaning patch back out. Just put the T between your feet and push your legs away from the muzzle of the rifle. Lots of pushing power there. I always have two of them. The T-handle has ends that help load the shockwave projectiles. The second one goes on the end of my ramrod that has two female ends.

In your list you might want to get the correct loading jag for the shockwave. You can also use that on the XTP's. This jag will not damage the tip of the projectile and it makes loading them easier. I always get two of them, one for the ramrod and one for the short starter. Some of them (the ones I got) can also be used as a cleaning jag because of the ruff exterior surface on them.. Otherwise get yourself a flat nose loading jag and be careful how hard you push on the projectile. Try not to force them hard and just push them down with steady pressure. A long nose cleaning jag is helpful when it comes time to clean the rifle also.

With the extention T handle the ramrod will not fall down into the barrel. Otherwise, some find cleaning the rifle a real pain, especially with a scope.

The swabbing between shots solution if your using Triple Se7en can be simple tap water if you like. I use 50/50 91% isopropyl alcohol and summer blend car windshield washer fluid. It cleans the fowling fine and dry out the barrel faster. I run a wet patch both sides and then two dry ones which will be the next wet patch...

If the fowling seems hard, then you can put a old bore brush on the end of the ramrod and wrap your wet patch around that. The bristles will help scrub off the hard fowling (if you even have a problem).
Old 08-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Spike

Cayugad -

Thanks for the tips. I failed to mention in my list that I had already picked up the tip for loading the shock wave bullets... and it can also double as a jag.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

You will love the T-handle for range work.