Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Who's getting psyched in New York? >

Who's getting psyched in New York?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Who's getting psyched in New York?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Who's getting psyched in New York?

Looks like it is going to warm up fora bit next week and then a cold front just in time for opening day! Who's getting psyched!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who's getting psyched in New York?

Im looking forward to it.It will be nice to sit in my stand in Tioga county and not have to swat mosquitoes.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if I could call it "psyched", but I am happy to be alive and healthy and looking forward to another season. I have never been much into bowhunting, so the regular gun season is when I start getting down to business. Unfortunately I only have a buck tag in my area so I will not have an opportunity to get a doe during the regular season. It's too bad because where I hunt one is LUCKY to get to see only a buck or two in a season, unlike some other posts I've read where people pass up a half a dozen or more in one sitting waiting for the big boy to come around. It's nothing like that in my area and for many other hunters I know who hunt in various locals around NYS so those more fortunate people should consider themselves really blessed! Eventhough I can't complain on the success I have had where I hunt, I know for darn sure there is never any guarantees of getting a deer, or even seeing too many. That is the main reason I can't say that I ever get "psyched". I just go out there, put some time in, and hope for some luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

psyched, more like depressing to me. My season started 9/27 with a bow, and I've been chasing the greatest game animal on earth with a bow to date. I love the thrill of trying to figure them out from early season through the rut, and setup for a possible harvest. I took 1 small buck on last seasons tag that first wknd, and have since passed on 2 other small bucks, and a doethat still had 2 small fawns withher yet. So I find pursueing the whitetail in a more natural state in the woods alot more rewarding. To head into the woods for the Southern Tier reg. season is a bummer. Hearing shotgun blast, after shotgun blast. Hunters driving deer in the woods, and walking around all over bumping them just isn't anything to get psyched about. Its more luck that hunters push deer your way, and in most areas its about setting up where you think other hunters will push the deer to you. I endure it to maybe get a crack at a nice buck, or fill a doe permit, but its nothing I get psyched about.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure it may be the way you describe on most public land or on some heavily used private land, but I can tell you that hunter numbers have been going WAY down in the southern tier and opening days are nothing like they used to be! I hunt some private land that really doesn't get much pressure, but neighboring properties do, but again it is nothing like it used to be. With deer numbers down, and hunter numbers down, I have heard awful few shots on the last few opening days. Many hunters have been giving it up basically because they can't find places to hunt. More and more land is being sold in small parcels and fewer and fewer landowners want hunters on their land. Many hunters, myself included would sooner give it up than hunt public land in the southern tier for various reasons. Hunting is without a doubt dying in this part of the state.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steve863, I disagree in part on hunters would rather sit home than hunt public land. The main reason I feel hunter #'s are down. Lack of deer!! Hunters go out to see, and harvest a deer. We had plenty of hunters in the older days when a guy could hit the woods, and was nothing to see 20 plus deer. Groups of 1/2 dozen together. Now you just don't see that. I fully understand the DEC decreasing the herd size due to the woods carry capacity reasons. But thats not the single or possibly main reason. Its Ins. issues, farmers, and public complaints. My area alone, the bucks per square mile expected take was changed after public meetings on complaints of too many deer 4 or 5 yrs ago. But since then 7m went 2 yrs w/o management permits, and now its only been a Med & none chance on obtaining one for last 2 seasons. The buck take is always less than the set numbers. But DEC continues to listen to the publics needs. Even if it means less hunters. I hunt private land surrounded by state. In my last 3 opening day seasons I seen a total of 1 deer. I scout the state woods, and see little sign. We've done food plots, and other plantings to attract what deer exist to our property.
I too have noticed less hunters in woods, butin my opinion the main reason is becasue of lack of deer.
Even less reason to get Psyched!!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't disagree with what you are saying. Many hunters complain about seeing less deer, and maybe it keeps some from hunting at all. I just can't figure it out. All I know is that the unit I hunt is supposed to have way less deer, but from my experience I can't say that its any less because I NEVER exactly had deer running me over where I've hunted. For me it's never been a sure thing that I would see ANY deer and I started hunting deer back in 1979. Maybe I am just a lousy hunter, eventhough I have only failed to kill a deer once in the last 20 seasons, but I have never seen the scores of deer that many swear up and down that they used to see compared to today. When it comes to hunters they tend to complain a bit too much from my experience. I don't know if this is just another instance where they are complaining and exagerating things a bit too much? Heck I remember in the early 70's before I even started to hunt it was a huge deal if one out of a group of five hunters got a deer. Today they complain when they ALL can't get to fill the several tags that they are given.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:11 PM

wow dude i cant wait, its 8 days until firearm season the days are going by so slow this past wekk because i cant stop thinking about the season, but before i know it i will be thinking about the next hunting season again lol but yea im am soooo exited about the season!!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 AM

Hey, BuckAlley,
Another Oswego County personhere!!

I am excited. This is only my 2nd season of hunting. Much as I'd like to get something, even just being alive out in the woods in satisfying enough for me...
Old 11-10-2007, 11:32 AM

I agree, i get psyched just sitting in the woods. I could care less if i harvest a deer. Just seeing all the wildlife that we have in NY is a blessing. Good luck to all.

Quick Reply: Who's getting psyched in New York?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.