Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 NEW SCOPE-WHAT SHOULD I GET? >

NEW SCOPE-WHAT SHOULD I GET?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NEW SCOPE-WHAT SHOULD I GET?

Old 08-13-2005, 06:15 PM

Default NEW SCOPE-WHAT SHOULD I GET?

I have an Original Knight .50 caliber in-line and I would like to put a good scope that will stay on tight and not lose its zero. I fire 110 grain pyrodex pellets. AND-

What grain of bullet would be nice to go long distance with 110 grain pellets?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: NEW SCOPE-WHAT SHOULD I GET?

ORIGINAL: DeerSlayer53

I have an Original Knight .50 caliber in-line and I would like to put a good scope that will stay on tight and not lose its zero. I fire 110 grain pyrodex pellets. AND-

What kind of scope will depend on your pocketbook. There are scopes ranging from $65.00 to $650.00. All of them will work. The staying on tight usually is more related to the scope mounts. Be sure and get good bases and mounts. I have a inexpensive scope on my T/C Black Diamond XR and it has been working excellent. It is a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn. Granted it is not one of the very expensive scopes but it does a good enough job for me.

As for what will shoot good out of your rifle with that kind of powder charge would be hard to say. You might want to look into some Barnes 250 grain Expanders, or something from the Dead Center line of projectiles. Its hard to say what will work out of your rifle because all of them are different. All you can do is to try different projectiles and see what happens.

Good luck with your rifle...
Old 08-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Spike

DeerSlayer53,

Recommend that you do a search on this topic on this Forum. Over the last year there have been several goodposts on scopes and mounts. There is also a number of Randy Wakeman articles and reviews that you can referenceat www.chuckhawks.com. Like Cayugad said, its a matter of features, performance, and price. I use a Bushnell Legend 2x7 withLeupold high QRW mounts on my T/C Omega.

Best Regards,

Sky-Dogg

Old 08-14-2005, 11:23 AM

I have an Original Knight .50 caliber in-line and I would like to put a good scope that will stay on tight and not lose its zero.
There are a lot of good scopes out there. Just buy the best one you can afford. Somewhere in the 3-9x40mm or 3.5-10x40mm should cover most scenarios. Get one with plenty of eye relief, somewhere in the 3 1/2"-4" range would work perfect.

[/quote]
Old 08-14-2005, 11:27 AM

Long distance, huh? If long distance is your goal, then I would for sure give the 200 gr. T/C Shockwaves in the blue sabots a try in your gun.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Simple, Leupold, that's it, can't do much better for the price, quality, and warranty. I would second MOTurkeyTamer on the bullet choice. That is exactly what I use and they give be deadly accuracy and good penetration.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Buy what is in your budget. Bushnell makes real good scopes for the money as does Tasco. Bushnell a bit better.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting a Knight DISC .50 and have a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 on her. I shoot 265 gr. Swift A-Frame's w/ 100 gr. Pyrodex pellets.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:31 PM

About any good quality scope will work. For long range 3-9 x 40 would be all you need. I put a nikon buckmaster 3-9x40 on my optima and have had no problems taking deer up to 200 yards with the 250gr shockwaves with 130 gr 777 pellets.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

I always purchase the best optics that I can afford.

Early on, I went the budget route with optics and have always ended up having one fail at the worst moment or just being disapointed. For me I would rather have higher quailty optics or none at all and stick with open sights.

That's not to say that a high end Swarovski can't fail. They can.

For me it's Leupold, Zeiss or Burris.Mostly Leupold. Nikon hassome nice optics. I've heard some good things about the prostaff and the monarch is very good.