Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 I am so psyched, Im losing sleep! >

I am so psyched, Im losing sleep!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I am so psyched, Im losing sleep!

Old 11-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Spike

Default I am so psyched, Im losing sleep!

NY rifle season opens next weekend! That said I am getting really anxious. I have gone over and over my gear, it is all there. I have read every article I can find on scents and being scent free not to mention rattling and grunting. My gun is "on the money". I cruise this web site all day long at work. Just curious as to how you guys prepare for opening day? Also whattraditionsdo you have? Special food you bring, a party opening night, etc.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I am so psyched, Im losing sleep!

Vermont opens tomorrow - I haven't slept well for a couple of nights.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:14 PM

ours start nov 27th... can't wait
Old 11-10-2006, 02:37 PM

They key is to relax and enjoy. This will be my 27th deer season and I have learned not to get overly excited or expect too much. The grunt calling and antler rattling has really never worked for me. I just try to be as observant as possible and try to identify every sound I hear. Losing sleep won't help one be observant if you are dosing off on your stand. Go to bed early the night before so you are wide awake while on your stand. The drinking and card playing til the wee hours of the night won't help ones hunting either! In the last 19 seasons I have failed to bring a deer home only once, so I think it at least works for me.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:48 PM

I am sleeping really good except when I wake up from the recoil and there is no deer LOL. I am using my mobile hunting cabin ( 79' winnie) and everything is in it and ready. I will be driving to the hunt Friday night with my wife, she is hunting also.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Honestly, the biggest simple tip is to set up your gear, ready to go the night before. By that I mean, have everything planned to keep your prep time short.

I typically set out what I need in my scent free totes, and all I do after a morning breakfsat, which is a must on opening morning, is pop open the tote for my clothes. After clean, Igrab the other one, and put it in the truck, and I'm off. It saves a bunch of time in the A.M.

One of my biggest traditions, is fairly simple in process and meaning but it is something I do every hunt, I really stress it on the opening morning of shotgun. Once out of the truck and ready to go, I step into my field on my way into the woods, which is a few hundred yards off the road.

At that point I simply stop, and spend one minute there quiet. I take the cleanest, freshest, deepest breaths of air I've ever enjoyed. I look at the darkness, stars, moon, etc. It's extremely relaxing, and gets me into the perfect mindset as to why exactly I go through all this madness. Then...game on!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i also cant wait for the ny opener, ive havent been able to get a deer with the bow yet, even tho ive had 12 deer this year within 40 yards, they were all running or i dident have a good shot or i missed,
once i get a gun in my hand it will feel like cheating!
come gun, i put on no scent lock, just sit back and shoot a buck from a 100 yards... i cant wait!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

I am also getting psyched for the NY opener. i have been fortunate enough to have taken 2 does with the bow. The bucks have lurked just out of bow range but may get another chance weds morning if time permits. after going bow hunting going with a gun will feel like cheating but its still isn't that easy since the deer smarten up quickly. Opening day will find me up in 6P with my buck tag and a signed over DMP.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:08 PM

I did the Vt opener yesterday, full rut, bucks after the does, moose rubs all over the place, it's kind of unnerving seing so muck moose sign. I thing a got about 3 hrs sleep last night, and now it's supposed to rain for the rest of the week. Well it's going to be an interesting week due to the weather. I'll just have to stillhunt all day.........Happy Hunting !
Old 11-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm actually bummed about the Reg. season opener. I go out, but its depressing to hear gunshots ringing through the woods. Sometimes numerous from the same guy. I just enjoy bowhunting so much more. Trying to patterndeer for natural movements. Trying to figure out the different phases, and setting up for that under 30yd shot. Its just so challenging, and rewarding to me. Gun is just the opposite. Unless you have a alot of private land. You basically setup where you can shoot 100yds, and where you think other hunters will push the deer to you. Being scent free, and using all kinds deer scent plays alot less role during Reg. season, than during archery. Depending on your area, and situation they can obviously help, but when you hunt areas containing many hunters. Its more about a deer being pushed to you. Thats just not as exciting to me.

Quick Reply: I am so psyched, Im losing sleep!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.