Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

moose load

Old 06-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: moose load

TripleSe7en, I hear ya. If only I'd get paid to shoot a specific bullet/powder combination.
I think T7 is one of the finer developments to the muzzle loading hunter. Bullets aside, the no fuss, no muss of T7 is simply head and shoulders above any other powder.IMO
Crud ring....just clean the dang thing. With one or two shot's at an animal it isn't an issue anyway.
The 340 gr DC's I tested (using Chapman's test scenario) performed quite well and I'm confident that they will dust old moosey just fine and it will be my load this fall for moose.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:43 PM

PR Bullet 360 grain Extreme Elite w/ 100 grain pyrodex. Last Novembers' moose was down before the smoke cleared.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would think 300 sst or any other mentioned would get her done. I have taken only 1moose with 460 grain cronical behind 120 Pyrodex RS in a Gonic a number of years back.I called the bull into approx 35 yards before placing it squarely in his lungs and the average sized canadian bull made slow/short trek before succumbing to his wounds. I personally find moose pretty weak when it comes to stopping power requiredbut like mentioned attention/respect must be paid to their extremely tough hides and large bone/muscle mass. I have seen guys take these poor angled shoots with precision only to require a finisher or clear lung shot to get it done..as such personally would pick construction over extreme or absolute accuracy for a moose hunt on this premise alone. Of course within reason and if the situation dictated I could loose the accuracy and still make a clean/accurate shot for the hunt I was partaking in.Of course the preference is to have both areas covered,I can't speak from experience on the 300 gr sst for large animals but the 250gr works well on our large bodied deer in saskatchewan.

Best of luck