Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Breech Plug on .54 hawkens? >

Breech Plug on .54 hawkens?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug on .54 hawkens?

Old 07-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Spike

Default Breech Plug on .54 hawkens?

Should I be removing my breech plug on my Cabelas .54 cal. Hawkens? The manual only talks about removing the plug when you need to remove a stuck round from the barrel and that a gunsmith should do it.

With this rifle, is there a problem with the plug seizing? Should it be very hard to screw out in the first place? It would be nice to have it out for cleaning purposes.

Thanks!

Blue Moose
Old 07-02-2005, 02:29 PM

Default RE: Breech Plug on .54 hawkens?

Breechplugs on a sidelock are not a normal 'consumer removeable part" like a breechplug in an inline.
Theyrequirespecial tools/clamps/vices to do it properly so the finish is notmarred in the process.
Breechplugs on sidelocks do not need to be removed for cleaning and FWIW, only in the interest in trying to be helpful to you,I would strongly urge you not to even think about doing it.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Spike

Thanks roundball!

Thats what I was wondering about.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:42 AM

i have an old t/c sidelock it is somewhere around 20 years old and the breech plug has never been removed. and i hunt with it every year. there is no reason to remove it for cleaning.also just use an air compresser to clear any unwanted bullet from the barrel. i do this alot at the end of the day if i have not shot the gun. it makes cleaning alot easier. be carefull just by using the air to clear your load the bulletcan fly 60 or 70 feet.