Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
What makes a Breechplug a Great BP? >

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Both the Savage, and the Lehigh vent liners arrived here yesterday.

I began with the install of the Lehigh, and it seemed to work quite nicely. The unmodified Accura breech plug on the left, the modified Accura breech plug centered, and the unmodified Omega breech plug on the right.

Then, i gave the savage vent liner a try, and it also fit nicely.

I decided to install the Lehigh vent, and loaded the Accura that has factory open sights, with 105g BH209, Harvester Smooth Sabot, 300g xtp, and W209 primer.

This morning i headed for the hills, set out a target, and moved the truck to the place i normally park it, which turned out to be 101yd from target according to the laser range finder.

The first shot was into a stump, and then i fired 8 shots at this target:

The rifle appears to be shooting some high now, with this modification. Ignition was instant, and i ended up loading and shooting the rifle about 16 times before going hunting. Blowback may have been less than what it was before being modified, but then again maybe not.

After returning home from hunting, i replaced the Lehigh vent liner with the Savage vent liner, and will try it out tomorrow morning.
Hi Ron,
Thank's for the results so far on your Mod's. The difference in impact was one of my concerns earlier in this post, ans Im sure I was quoted as there would be no difference. The other was if it really would make all that much of a difference in blowback. As you mentioned you were unsure if the difference was all that noticeable.
The minimal blowback I now have with my ACCURA was'nt that much to worry about to begin with, and now I tried a rubber O-Ring behind the primer it seemed to make some what of a difference and lessened the blowback. The little extra cleaning, mabey 2 minutes to remove the small amount of blowback from the firing pin area does'nt make or break me as I always take out the firing pin and spring everytime and clean it anyway as I want the ML CLEAN and I am a clean freak.
So for now Im gonna just stay with things the way they are as there not that bad, and I have My ACCURA shooting 1"groups at 100 and 2"groups at 200 so Im not gonna mess with the BP. I have extra new BP's for it so when they get a little wore I'll just replace them. Let us know how things work out with your other BP's and the ACCURA's.
I was considering buying the (New ACCURA V2) when they came out but Im not sure I will now as the ACCURA (Older Version) are pleanty good for me and preform well. A new BP with the ACCURA V2 was all I was looking for and Im still undecided if just that alone will be enough for me to purchase one.
Heck the older ACCURA Camo/SS can be purchased at Cabela's now for $329 and with the new Cabela's offer's I can get another $40 off that price so for $289 you get a great ML at a Great Price. Not that I need another as I already have 3 of them.
Chances are I will buy the new V2, just to see if the difference between the 2 are really that big. It does'nt bother me to take 15seconds to remove the BP now so a quick release one, so what, and the recoil burner's just dont appeal to me either.
So for now Im usdecided but still very happy with the older ACCURA's. Thank's again for your report Ron and fill us in on the rest of your results.
(BP)
Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

BP i have a V2 coming my way as soon as they are available, i'll be the guinn..... Er.. Tester on how the New plug works out.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
BP i have a V2 coming my way as soon as they are available, i'll be the guinn..... Er.. Tester on how the New plug works out.
MD, I e-mailed Mark %$#*&^@ and just about begged him for a CVA Pro Team Hat and said I'd pay for it and he never even returned my e-mail, Im dissapointed! CVA has them and give em away all the time but I guess Im not worthy even though I have been a CVA shooter for 20years+. Anyway I'll let you have all the glory with the new V2, when do you expect them to be available?
As long as I get mine by mid Spring It'll be enough time for me to see weather or not Im impressed.
(BP)
Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went up into the hills to try out the Savage vent liner in the Accura this morning. I fired the rifle 15 times. Results for the Savage vent liner were similar to the results with the Lehigh vent liner. The blow back may be less than the factory breech plug, but i can't really tell.

Both vent liners seem to make the rifle shoot higher. Both vent liners have been reliable in these limited test.

I loaded the rifle with 105g BH209, 300g 44 caliber xtp, smooth Harvester sabot, and W209 primer. The range was about 98yd. The last 4 shots i fired this morning are shown on this picture of the target:

Old 01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Went up into the hills to try out the Savage vent liner in the Accura this morning. I fired the rifle 15 times. Results for the Savage vent liner were similar to the results with the Lehigh vent liner. The blow back may be less than the factory breech plug, but i can't really tell.

Both vent liners seem to make the rifle shoot higher. Both vent liners have been reliable in these limited test.

I loaded the rifle with 105g BH209, 300g 44 caliber xtp, smooth Harvester sabot, and W209 primer. The range was about 98yd. The last 4 shots i fired this morning are shown on this picture of the target:

Thank's for the update Ron, have you tried less powder in your ACCURA? from the groups it seems like they could be pulled closer. Or were you just testing the results from the BP's? I also tried the 300gr .44cal XTP's and wer'nt happy with them, this was a long time ago. Since then I changed to the .45cal 240gr XTP Mags, and also the 45.cal 300gr. XTP Mags, they shoot perfect out of My ACCURA and other CVA's. Keep us updated on any further results, again Thank's!
(BP)
Old 01-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, also I can only assume that the higher groups are caused by the more instant or directed ignition with the vent liners, other than that Im stumped.
(BP)
Old 01-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took Sabotloaders advice and tightened up the BP on the ACCURA a little more than I usually do, kinda tight with Teflon Tape on it. I also put a rubber O-Ring under the Primer. This made a Big difference. Blow Back was minimal and only on the firing pin face area, one little wipe and it was clean. So for now Im going with this was and I wont have to adjust for elevation if I modify the BP with a vent liner.
(BP)
Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting season ended for me yesterday; this morning i modified 3 more Accura breech plugs.

It didn't take me very long even though i am not a machinist. Here is how an old carpenter works these breech plugs.

First thing is to measure the diameter of the Accura breech plug.

Then clamp a block of wood to the drill press, and drill a 5/8" hole in the block with a forstner drill, which leaves a flat bottom hole.

Then one needs a way to keep the breech plug from spinning in the hole whilst being drilled and/or tapped. This can be done by using a 'set' screw on a 'flat' of the hex end of the breech plug.

Then a 3/8" drill is installed, and the belts of the press are set for the slowest possible speed, and then used to drill the 'powder pocket' in the breech plug. Oil is used to keep the drill cool, and help it cut.

Next a 25/64" drill is installed and used to slightly enlarge the pocket and to form more of a 'seat' for the vent liner. It is possible and reasonable to eliminate the 3/8" drill and just use the 25/64" drill.

Now it is time to use a counter sink to accurately form the 'seat' for the vent liner. Oil is used so the counter sink can be used again.

Here are pictures of the process to drill out the flame channel so it can be tapped to receive the threads of the vent liner. First a 9/64" drill is used, then a #21 drill, along with plenty of oil.

Now the plug is ready to tap. The drill press can be used to hold and align the tap if the belts are disconnected. Then the tap is turned by hand. Oil is used to assist the cutting, and the tap is turned about 8 times.

The finished plug

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 01-27-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

Very nice Ron, great photo's.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

With your modifications it is probably possible that you are getting a better burn and you have increased your velocity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.