Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
What makes a Breechplug a Great BP? >

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader

Wouldn't that be nice if the modified BP is more efficient. One could use a chronograph to check speeds and maybe answer your question. Perhaps i should do this in the spring.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
sabotloader

Wouldn't that be nice if the modified BP is more efficient. One could use a chronograph to check speeds and maybe answer your question. Perhaps i should do this in the spring.

I can tell you i shot a modified BP in a Knight DISC yesterday and the velocities did bump up right around 75/100 fps with a 110 grains of T7.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for the Pics and up-date Ron, I've been waiting for your results......as seen the modified BP looks to be more efficient. If you chrono it Ron let us know if you get more fps. I talked to Mark today at CVA and he seems exicited about the new ACCURA V2 and it's new BP design. After our talk I think he purswaded me into the new V2, I'll be getting one soon. I was a little hesitant but I think CVA may be onto something........
(BP)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

Did you get yer hat?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Did you get yer hat?
I'll have to see....I submitted a few pics of me and My ACCURA and My Deer to CVA. If they are chosen I get a Cap......MD, have you tried a Rubber O-Ring behind the Primer in your ACCURA? It made a Big Difference to mine, Blow-Back is all but eliminated!
(BP)
Old 01-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

i havent found an o ring in my local hardware stores that will fit, they are all way to thick. i'll have to see if my dad carries o rings on his service truck.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been going up into the hills every morning to shoot my rifles. It has been around 10* to 15* in the morning when we wake. Have been shooting 105g BH209, lit by W209 primer, pushing a 44 caliber 300g xtp, in a smooth Harvester sabot.

In the Accura, i have been using the middle plug in this picture; it has around 50 rounds on it now.

Usually i shoot each rifle 5 to 10 times each morning. So far the first shot in the morning has lit instantaneously, after the rifles sit in the cab on the truck loaded, over night. Below is a picture of some fired primers from the Accura.

One can see there is little or no blow back. After about 10-15 shots i get after the flame channel with a 5/32" drill.

Next i plan to leave the rifles sit in the cabin of the truck loaded for a few days and nights, and then see what happens when the trigger is pulled. Have to quit shooting every day, and look after some chores around here.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Been going up into the hills every morning to shoot my rifles. It has been around 10* to 15* in the morning when we wake. Have been shooting 105g BH209, lit by W209 primer, pushing a 44 caliber 300g xtp, in a smooth Harvester sabot.

In the Accura, i have been using the middle plug in this picture; it has around 50 rounds on it now.

Usually i shoot each rifle 5 to 10 times each morning. So far the first shot in the morning has lit instantaneously, after the rifles sit in the cab on the truck loaded, over night. Below is a picture of some fired primers from the Accura.

One can see there is little or no blow back. After about 10-15 shots i get after the flame channel with a 5/32" drill.

Next i plan to leave the rifles sit in the cabin of the truck loaded for a few days and nights, and then see what happens when the trigger is pulled. Have to quit shooting every day, and look after some chores around here.
WOW Ron! that middle plug looks pretty clean, looks like the conversion has really helped a-lot. Now for leaving your ACCURA in your Truck for a few days. I DONT have the conversion and I Hunted in the Rain fr days at a time bringing in the ACCURA each night then back to the Truck and into the Rain again, I never had a problem with it firing. I also Hunted in Below Zero Weather and have taken the ACCURA in the House every night then back to the Warm Truck, into the COLD back to the Warm Truck and Home to the Warm House again and reapeted this process untll I have pilled the trigger, and each time it fired. I do cover the end of the Muzzle with Masking Tape and I believe this is the most Important Part of keeping Moisture out. And even thought the break open action IS'NT protected except for the MLer's design, it also has'nt let any Moisture into the BP. So with your conversion and IF you keep the Muzzle Covered you should have no problem.
I really like your results and I should have My BP converted as you did. Keep (US) up tp date on your results and Thank You for your time doing this, I really appreciate it and so do other ACCURA Shooters.
(BP)
Old 02-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron Laughlin
I have been sitting here contimplating the idea of why I need the NEW ACCURA V2 after your findings.......I Love My ACCURA's (3) and if your findings with the BP conversion work as you say they do them Im really thinking of just upgrading My BP's as you did. Im not sure Im sold on the new ACCURA V2's design with the rubber on the forearm and stock, I think it's ugly.....the new BP is what I was in it for. If I can get your results I'll just do that and save myself some cash in getting 2 new V2's (for me and my Wife) as I have to get her on too as she'd say I was trying to have an atvantage over her and she's still trying for the (BIgger Buck on the wall), but if I can help it, it will never happen, but God Bless her if it does, (Rotten ME!)
Im just sold on the (Old) design of the ACCURA and if I can make it all that it can be I will. But we all know how that goes, we just cant Stop Buying the Newest Better MLer. It's not that I cant afford to buy 2 more, it's I like what I have and why change what works, Plus Im sure the one ACCURA I have now is a real Shooter as the groups it shoots are unreal, even thought there's a little blowback, but the rubber O-Ring solved most of the problem, and if your conversion works as you say then Im really in for what Im looking for.
Let's see some more results...................
(BP)
Old 02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Spike

I am new to ml hunting. I just purchased an Accura about 2 months ago. Now, can someone please tell me if my Accura has the new bp or the old style, and how can I tell the difference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.