Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
What makes a Breechplug a Great BP? >

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's to ALL who have helped out on this Post. I learned a few things. Anyother thoughts are welcome. It looks like if CVA's New ACCURA has a greatly Improved BP I'll have to get one.....Im hoping though I can just replace the one it came with, with the new style...wishful thinking! My ACCURA's, especially the one I used most for Hunting this year is a real shooter, I'd hate to put er down for a new one just for the new BP.
(BP)
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

I doubt very much that the breech plugs are going to interchange. The new one I am sure will be much longer, more like the length of the Triumph Speed Breech. That extra length makes a ton of difference in the blow back through the breech plug. It actually may look more like the Speed Breech for the Pro Hunter... Actually I bet you could look at one for the Apex on line and you probably would have it.

If the expected price of the new Accura is close to or over $400 why would you not go with the Apex - Underclocked has moved his Accura's in favor of the Apex...
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

I doubt very much that the breech plugs are going to interchange. The new one I am sure will be much longer, more like the length of the Triumph Speed Breech. That extra length makes a ton of difference in the blow back through the breech plug. It actually may look more like the Speed Breech for the Pro Hunter... Actually I bet you could look at one for the Apex on line and you probably would have it.

If the expected price of the new Accura is close to or over $400 why would you not go with the Apex - Underclocked has moved his Accura's in favor of the Apex...
Mike, I have rifles and dont use them anymore, the same as Shotguns. I gave them up years ago for the Bow and MLer. I prefer the 1 shot and consider myself a Traditionalist.
As for the APEX it sure is nice but Im not gonna spend the extra money on a ML that interchanges barrels if Im not gonna use it for that. So the new ACCURA will be just what I will probably get.
Your right about the BP and it wont interchange with my ACCURA's, I should have seen that on my own. Also I know some dont like the looks of the ACCURA, but I do, it has grown on me.
And I love the way it shoots, plus the little blowback I get now is'nt that bad so a new improved BP is all Im looking for in the newer ACCURA.
When I bought my last 3 ACCURA's I thought they would be my last in awhile, that's why I got 3 as I liked em so much I figured I'd be set for a long time.....not the case as all of us know.LOL!
(BP)
Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know Im gonna get beat up on this one........as mentioned above I prefer to use just a ML and only a ML for Hunting, I just plain out Love Em! besides a Bow of course for Bow Season. There gonna probably legalize Rifle Hunting in our County for next Season, they allmost did this year. If they do I still wont use one, I think (in My Opinion) that Rifles as unfair as you can just shoot way too far at game that never know your even there. There's just no fun in that to me, I watch Hunting shows where guy's shoot at Big Bucks at say 300-400yds+, where's the glory in that, they never had a chance.
I gave up the Shotgun for the ML Im sure not gonna give up the ML for a Rifle. Some may say the ML is a Rifle....sure it get's out there but it will never be a Rifle. I fell in ove with a ML the first time I shot my first Deer with one over 25 years ago and I never looked back, for me a ML is all I'll ever need and 1 shot is all I'll evr need. If I cant get em with a ML than I should quit Hunting.
Next Gun Season all my Friends will probably be Hunting with there Rifles and I'll be right there with them with my trusty ML, taking some crap from them, but when the smoke clears I'll still get what Im after, a Deer and Satisfaction.
(BP)
Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

Breech,

You sure have done a complete 180 on wanting a new Accura from a previous post, see below. You have the Accura itch brother.

It will be something to check out but a quick release BP in my opinion is nothing to get all excited over, so what if it comes out quicker, it's not like you have to remove the BP for every shot. And recoil burners another so what, the recoil from My ACCURA is'nt even noticeable. It's just some extra add on's to up the price another $200.
If CVA wanted to improve the ACCURA a Stainless Steel Receiver insted of the Aluminum one would be a improvement, or say a Laminated Wood Stock would even be nice. But it's gonna take more than a quick release BP and some Rubber to get me to buy one, Im happy with the 3 I have now.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

The only reason I think the Accura is U-glee is because of the butt stock... I do not like the Encore series for the same reason... Can not believe that CVA would copy that design... but in one of FG's posts, I think he mentioned that the new version was going to have the more conventional stock like the Apex - I like the looks of the Apex - maybe the stock might interchange on an Accura...

And I agee a SS reciever sure would be nice when it comes to durability and time...

BP - I share your feeling ML's only even for elk hunting for me... The only centerfires I shoot anymore is my Bull Barrel 222 Sako - the ground squirrels and yotes hate it...
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Banned

im not sure if they changed the stock any. I just know that they installed the recoil burners or whatever you want to call it. Apex is a nice rifle, i had the ffl holder send my info off today so as soon as the barrels come in, my apex will be shipped.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I know Im gonna get beat up on this one........as mentioned above I prefer to use just a ML and only a ML for Hunting, I just plain out Love Em! besides a Bow of course for Bow Season. There gonna probably legalize Rifle Hunting in our County for next Season, they allmost did this year. If they do I still wont use one, I think (in My Opinion) that Rifles as unfair as you can just shoot way too far at game that never know your even there. There's just no fun in that to me, I watch Hunting shows where guy's shoot at Big Bucks at say 300-400yds+, where's the glory in that, they never had a chance.
I gave up the Shotgun for the ML Im sure not gonna give up the ML for a Rifle. Some may say the ML is a Rifle....sure it get's out there but it will never be a Rifle. I fell in ove with a ML the first time I shot my first Deer with one over 25 years ago and I never looked back, for me a ML is all I'll ever need and 1 shot is all I'll evr need. If I cant get em with a ML than I should quit Hunting.
Next Gun Season all my Friends will probably be Hunting with there Rifles and I'll be right there with them with my trusty ML, taking some crap from them, but when the smoke clears I'll still get what Im after, a Deer and Satisfaction.
(BP)
BreechPlug: try to have and open mind, what twists your crank might not twist some one else, but that is OK.

Your Accura's are most certainly single shot Rifles!!! How can you not say they are rifles, are the barrels smooth bored? They might not be cnterfire rifles but they most certainly are rifles.

I personaly would not hesitate to shot a deer at 300 with my 50 cal Muzzle Loader that I built on a Rolling Block frame. I routinely shot to 335Yards at the farm for fun.

But this has nothing to do with The Breech Plug.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fusion
Breech,

You sure have done a complete 180 on wanting a new Accura from a previous post, see below. You have the Accura itch brother.

It will be something to check out but a quick release BP in my opinion is nothing to get all excited over, so what if it comes out quicker, it's not like you have to remove the BP for every shot. And recoil burners another so what, the recoil from My ACCURA is'nt even noticeable. It's just some extra add on's to up the price another $200.
If CVA wanted to improve the ACCURA a Stainless Steel Receiver insted of the Aluminum one would be a improvement, or say a Laminated Wood Stock would even be nice. But it's gonna take more than a quick release BP and some Rubber to get me to buy one, Im happy with the 3 I have now.
O.K., you got me on this one.....yes I probably....I will buy one!LOL, sorry we all get the itch.........
(BP)
Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Thank's to ALL who have helped out on this Post. I learned a few things. Anyother thoughts are welcome. It looks like if CVA's New ACCURA has a greatly Improved BP I'll have to get one.....Im hoping though I can just replace the one it came with, with the new style...wishful thinking! My ACCURA's, especially the one I used most for Hunting this year is a real shooter, I'd hate to put er down for a new one just for the new BP.
(BP)
It appears you have become a little worried about the breech plug in your Accura. Here is some news that may reduce some of your concern.

This morning when i woke up it was -9* here. At dawn it was -12* here. When i left to go hunting it was -8* here. Since i wasn't in a big hurry to get out of the truck, i took a little detour to a piece of ground where i shoot at paper, that is more or less on the way to where i wanted to hunt.

My Accura spent the night in the truck, and was last fired and loaded 3 days ago. I set up the target and moved the truck to the same approximate spot i fired a shot from 3 days ago, when it wasn't so cold, which was about 99 yard from the target. Today it was -14* up there. When i pulled the trigger on the Accura, it fired with Authority, even though it was dirty and cold. The paper is here:

One bullet hole is from this morning, and the other is from 3 days ago in the morning before i went hunting. The load was 105g BH209, 300g 44 caliber xtp, Harvester smooth sabot, and a Winchester W209 shot shell primer.

The breech plug of the Accura works you see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.