Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Black Powder Contest 2011
Post Your Target - 3 Shots / 50 Yards / Offhand >

Post Your Target - 3 Shots / 50 Yards / Offhand

Community

Post Your Target - 3 Shots / 50 Yards / Offhand

Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane said: (I don't care for stickies either - always thought they have a tendency to expand in number and clutter up a forum.)

JW said: am pinning this too. and will get to mine I hope soon JW
See! I told you.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting TN. I'll be happy if I can match that next weekend. I haven't decided which gun to shoot yet.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not bad TN. You're pretty close to bull with those other two.
A little tip I was taught years ago by my mentor when I shot indoor competition: You are never going to hold your rifle still. The trick is to practice and practice and get your muzzle is moving in circles around the target. You will notice that your circles will become smaller and smaller. And never, ever, ever jerk the trigger and try to catch the bull as your muzzle passes it. You will miss every time. Just squeeze the trigger.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-27-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, as I said before, I really only had one chance to do this, and only time to make 3 shots, so yesterday I gave it my best and screwed up shot 3. As I was adding pressure to the trigger, I added too much too soon and set it off before I was ready. The “bang” was accompanied by a disgusted “AAAARRRRRRRHHHHHH!” I knew I missed, and I missed huge. The first two shots were money, though my scope obviously is no longer sighted in for this load after moving it forward in the mounts. I think if my scope had been zeroed, that last shot may not have even been on paper.

Anyways, I might have a chance to do this again, but I wanted to post this since I don’t think I will. Up until two Saturdays ago, I hadn’t fired a rifle since January, and even then I was shooting bench (pathetic, I know, but I get bitten by the fishing bug and it’s hard to find time to shoot when that happens). I realized by doing this contest how important it is to keep your shooting muscles conditioned. I usually have had no trouble shooting offhand, but this time I was really having a hard time keeping that sucker steady. I also think that shooting with iron sights is better for offhand shooting. You can’t see how much your barrel is moving in relation to the target, so you aren’t as picky as to when to pull that trigger.

Thank you, Semi. This contest helped bring me back to the reality that only way you can remain a good shot is by practice, practice, practice. Being a good shot at the bench translates very little to real world, in-the-field shooting.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 09-27-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Yeah, I'm not disapointed with it at all. This is my first year shooting a flintlock and honestly haven't had a whole lot of practice with it. With a scoped inline, I can usally keep them all in the circle, but flintlocks are more fun
Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

So I don't own a printer. Does it count if I just put a black target dot on a piece of paper? If not that's ok. If it does I'll try my hand at this afternoon if I get a chance.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
A little tip I was taught years ago by my mentor when I shot indoor competition: You are never going to hold your rifle still. The trick is to practice and practice and get your muzzle is moving in circles around the target. You will notice that your circles will become smaller and smaller. And never, ever, ever jerk the trigger and try to catch the bull as your muzzle passes it. You will miss every time. Just squeeze the trigger.
bronko22000
Pm sent
Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

So I don't own a printer. Does it count if I just put a black target dot on a piece of paper? If not that's ok. If it does I'll try my hand at this afternoon if I get a chance.
That'll do just fine SuperKirby. I just made up a few targets with a felt tip marker and used the hole in a roll of masking tape to make the circle. It happened to be three inches exactly. But the size really does not matter.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I was at the range today, I thought I would give this off hand shooting a try. I only shot 2 targets.

The measuring tape is actually set dead center of the bullet hole on one inch. It doesn't look like it because of the angle of the photo I guess.

Here's one from today using a rest.

Same distance, BIG difference.

Last edited by pluckit; 09-28-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not bad Pluckit. All kill shots on a broadside deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.