Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.243 Win perfect for elk

Old 03-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .243 Win perfect for elk

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

At the same time there ain't no bullet proof elk, seperate his heart and aorta and he'll pass out from loss of blood pressure in less than 1 minute.

That looks good on paper. That's the problem with SPIE (Shot Placement Is Everything) guys or gals. I'm sure if you just spend too much time at the range or what but that's not hunting. You can't expect to hit the aorta or the heart on every shot. That's the reason the .243 is not an elk rifle.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:52 PM

.243....why?
Old 03-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Why? because we are all bored and have nothing to do but beat too death a senseless topic.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckshot

Why? because we are all bored and have nothing to do but beat to death a senseless topic.

LOL. Can't argue with that!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

That looks good on paper. That's the problem with SPIE (Shot Placement Is Everything) guys or gals. I'm sure if you just spend too much time at the range or what but that's not hunting. You can't expect to hit the aorta or the heart on every shot. That's the reason the .243 is not an elk rifle.
Actually I killed 5 all cows or ragheads, way back in the early 60s before elk became bullet proof. I used a wildcat 6.5-.257 which is so close to the 6.5x57 that you use the same load data. Hittin the heart/aorta ain't all that difficult. We were pushin' elk outa black timber to the older hunters. You'd get shots that were mostly rear quarter, and puttin one under the front leg was about the easiest shot we had. I did shoot one cow between the hams and that 140 Speer reached her chest anyway. Lotta penetration in them little bullets. Now I did suggest both lungs and let 'em drown as an alternate, or you could try for the opposite shoulder, but one broken leg don't anchor big bulls. I'd suggest you spend a little time at the range, or get a gun you can handle.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Actually I killed 5 all cows or ragheads,...... Hittin the heart/aorta ain't all that difficult.
Dear Sir.....I am going to call you Sir from now on because I've been hunting since I can remember, heck I've got pictures of my Mom on a deer hunt while she was 8 months pregnant with me, and I have never know anyone that can hit the aorta every time. To me it sounds like I need to wash my boots off from all crap stuck to em. But I'll tell you what I don't know you so I'll assume what you say is true about your success. But you need to realize Joe Hunter can't shoot like that in real hunting situations and that's why when we are talking generally. The .243 ain't an elk rifle and using one is plain irresposible with what there is available now days. We owe it to the game and to ourselves, in this anti era, to make the quickest and cleanest kill possible. Using a .243 on elk is like driving nails with a crescent wrench.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Every few months we go the rounds on this one again. A simple lung shot from .243 will stone the biggest bull ever made. I've seen a 350 class bull taken cleanly with a .243, and that was way before "premium" bullets.

Now, I wouldn't recommend anyone to choose a .243 for their elk rifle except in certain circumstances. First, if you've got a frail kid or recoil-conscious adult, then a .243 may be the ticket. Or if that's the only rifle you've got and you can't see laying down another $500.

The one thing you can't do with a .243 is run around like you're entitled to shoot any elk at any range at any angle. (Actually no one should do this with any rifle.) You need to limit your range to something like 200 yards and treat the shot selection process exactly as if you had a bow in your hands. Only take the perfect broadside shots where you know you will hit lungs without encountering shoulder bone. The key word is discipline.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dirt 2. Excellent post. That is putting it well. There is no shot that you have to take. If you pass on the iffy shots no matter the caliber, then you are a true hunter not just a game killer.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:04 AM

I have to agree with everyone. Anything that I use to shoot Groundhogs with, I am not going to hunt an Elk with! I'll stick to my 300 Win. mag or the ole 338!
Old 03-13-2005, 06:06 AM

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

Actually I killed 5 all cows or ragheads,...... Hittin the heart/aorta ain't all that difficult.
Dear Sir.....I am going to call you Sir from now on because I've been hunting since I can remember, heck I've got pictures of my Mom on a deer hunt while she was 8 months pregnant with me, and I have never know anyone that can hit the aorta every time. To me it sounds like I need to wash my boots off from all crap stuck to em. But I'll tell you what I don't know you so I'll assume what you say is true about your success. But you need to realize Joe Hunter can't shoot like that in real hunting situations and that's why when we are talking generally. The .243 ain't an elk rifle and using one is plain irresposible with what there is available now days. We owe it to the game and to ourselves, in this anti era, to make the quickest and cleanest kill possible. Using a .243 on elk is like driving nails with a crescent wrench.
I believe if you'll take your dirty boots back to my original post you'll find I did not advocate a .243 for everyman.

Quick Reply: .243 Win perfect for elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.