Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.243 Win perfect for elk

Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 PM
  #151  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,143
Default

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Did you miss that it's him in the picture with the dead elk? Pretty sure he shot it.

When you can show the same thing. Come back. Meanwhile, go away.
Like I said muley I aint giving advice. If Im gonna hunt elk ill ask for advice...,. but not from '06, don't think he'd be to helpful.
jerry d is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 PM
  #152  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

I don't know why? He's hunted and killed elk. He could help you if you needed it.
Muley Hunter is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 PM
  #153  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Did you miss that it's him in the picture with the dead elk? Pretty sure he shot it.

When you can show the same thing. Come back. Meanwhile, go away.
I can only hope that Junior goes away! He**, at my age I'm still even backpacking them all out to the truck a couple miles and Junior from TN ain't even been on an elk hunt, LOL! Last year alone we took two bulls and two cows, as well as a half dozen deer and antelope that also bit the dust. Oh, and then there was also the Bighorn sheep I helped my best buddy take in OR and a nice mulie in NM! What a joke this guy is! He probably has never even been out of TN on any kind of a hunt!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 08:32 PM
  #154  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,143
Default

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I don't know why? He's hunted and killed elk. He could help you if you needed it.
Do ya think he would? he seems upset with me....
jerry d is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 08:43 PM
  #155  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

Originally Posted by jerry d
Do ya think he would? he seems upset with me....
Stop insulting him. That would be a good start.
Muley Hunter is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 08:57 PM
  #156  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,143
Default

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Stop insulting him. That would be a good start.
There are guys in the know that posted in this thread and the man continues to be condescending. So when someone challenges him on a post he ask the guy to PM instead of post it in the forum where it started.
He calls another guy a smarta$$ cause he made 30-30 comment that may or may not have been directed at you.
And you say I'm insulting him?

Last edited by jerry d; 06-28-2014 at 09:06 PM.
jerry d is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 09:13 PM
  #157  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

Yes, you are. I only mentioned what you are doing. Insults are coming from both sides.

You challenged his hunting abilities, and you were wrong. The last thing a hunter wants to hear is they can't hunt.

One of you needs to stop the insults, or it will go on until a mod stops it.
Muley Hunter is offline  
Old 06-29-2014, 04:36 AM
  #158  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Pete---Let it go and maybe he'll do as we both have asked! We all now know who hunts elk, who has killed elk, and who hasn't even been on an elk hunt. I don't believe I was wrong for asking my buddy Flags to PM me when I explained the reason that he took my post as directed at him when it wasn't. That was taken care of as I said I would by editing. All this is coming from a guy that had one post deleted for violating site rules and put up another video of a 686 yard shot at a cow elk with a .243. I may be mistaken, but it sounded like from his post that he condoned it to show that the .243 is more than adequate if it will kill an elk at that distance. Maybe I'm wrong and if I am I apologize before another post comes my way! Now this thread is on post #158 with many of us expressing our feelings regarding the subject and almost all of us are in agreement that the .243 will kill an elk under the proper circumstances, but it's not what most would use. Hopefully any newbies that read this thread wondering what to use on their first elk hunt will go to a bigger caliber. If not, so be it and let's hope any animal they shoot will die the quick, humane death they deserve. Finally; yes, I'd be happy to help him or anyone else that has questions or needs help on anything that I may have knowledge on after 60 years in the hunting/shooting sports just as I'm sure you would with your 6+ decades of experience.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-29-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 06-29-2014, 06:10 AM
  #159  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WY
Posts: 2,056
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
"a few hundred yards" and dropped in sight. How many that run a few hundred yards are going to be where you can see them fall and what kind of a trail might they leave or not leave in their normal heavier habitat?
You added "hundred" to what I said. Read it again.... The elk hit with the .375 left a blood trail about a foot wide for about 100 yards, he was nothing to follow, and I heard him go down and thrash around so knew the general direction to go looking as well. The elk hit with the .243 went "a few" yards. From where I shot him, I could see him a few steps away. I don't recall there even being a blood trail, but there didn't need to be, so I probably wasn't even looking for it.

And once again, you guys are speaking in absolutes here and making leaps of logic. Because I had to trail an elk hit with a .375, it's not a good elk rifle, but because I didn't have to with the .243 - it is? Good Lord. Okay, the rest of the story. I've killed elk on-the-spot with the .375 as well. I've done the same with a .30-06, .300, and .338, as well as shots where they launched themselves when hit and collapsed a few yards away.

That bull hit with the .300 WSM? He went nearly a mile before he went down for good to a .270. The shot from the .300 was from the forward oblique and rather than going in slightly ahead of the shoulder where it should have, went in higher and slightly behind the shoulder where it damaged the right lung but spent most of its time passing through stomach and intestines. The .270 finisher was pure broadside boiler room. A bad shot is a bad shot, regardless of the cartridge.

Much analysis of that one around the campfire, mostly because the .300 shooter just couldn't believe that his pet rifle didn't smoke that elk on the spot like it "should have" (and would have, had he been paying more attention to where his crosshairs were lined up than he was the bones on the thing's head). There are no guarantees.

The takeaway here if you're a newbie isn't the sufficiency of ANY caliber for ANY game, it's how critical your marksmanship abilities are once you find your animal. It's not a matter of what gear you can buy, but the skills you've developed.

Last edited by homers brother; 06-29-2014 at 06:16 AM.
homers brother is offline  
Old 06-29-2014, 06:24 AM
  #160  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by homers brother
You added "hundred" to what I said. Read it again.... The elk hit with the .375 left a blood trail about a foot wide for about 100 yards, he was nothing to follow, and I heard him go down and thrash around so knew the general direction to go looking as well. The elk hit with the .243 went "a few" yards. From where I shot him, I could see him a few steps away. I don't recall there even being a blood trail, but there didn't need to be, so I probably wasn't even looking for it.

And once again, you guys are speaking in absolutes here and making leaps of logic. Because I had to trail an elk hit with a .375, it's not a good elk rifle, but because I didn't have to with the .243 - it is? Good Lord. Okay, the rest of the story. I've killed elk on-the-spot with the .375 as well. I've done the same with a .30-06, .300, and .338, as well as shots where they launched themselves when hit and collapsed a few yards away.

That bull hit with the .300 WSM? He went nearly a mile before he went down for good to a .270. The shot from the .300 was from the forward oblique and rather than going in slightly ahead of the shoulder where it should have, went in higher and slightly behind the shoulder where it damaged the right lung but spent most of its time passing through stomach and intestines. The .270 finisher was pure broadside boiler room. A bad shot is a bad shot, regardless of the cartridge.

Much analysis of that one around the campfire, mostly because the .300 shooter just couldn't believe that his pet rifle didn't smoke that elk on the spot like it "should have" (and would have, had he been paying more attention to where his crosshairs were lined up than he was the bones on the thing's head). There are no guarantees.

The takeaway here if you're a newbie isn't the sufficiency of ANY caliber for ANY game, it's how critical your marksmanship abilities are once you find your animal. It's not a matter of what gear you can buy, but the skills you've developed.
You are absolutely correct and I would have sworn the "hundred" was in that sentence. I should have gone back and read it before I made my post and I offer my sincere apology for misrepresnting your statement! I know we all knew what you were saying about the small caliber in relation to the bigger one. I believe Pete was just attempting to state that a newbie might read it differently when you said you had to follow the one shot with the big caliber and didn't with the .243. Many people read stuff when they've already decide what they're going to do and if a newbie was looking at the .243 he might do what Pete stated for lack of experience.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-29-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Topgun 3006 is offline  

Quick Reply: .243 Win perfect for elk


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.