Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear hunting

Old 02-17-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Bear hunting

How do you make a bacon or honey burn to attract bears using a sterno can, how do you set it up, etc.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear hunting

dig a small hole, set your can of sterno in it and then put your pot of honey on it with some wind protection for the flame. I have tried it without success. Good old stinky bait works better.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear hunting

We tried bacon, licorice and honey burns with minimal success. Fryer grease and barrel well stocked with bait is still the best (the bait can be darn near anything, meat scrapes, fish, oats, donuts, bread, etc). We like to use Oats, mixed with molasses and fryer grease in our steel barrels. We pour the fryers grease in a circle motion around the barrel or bait out to about 30 yards to create a scent path for other bears. We spruce all our baits with beaver carcasses or chucks, bears absolutely love beaver. Often we'll suspend the beaver carcass from trees about 7 feet off the ground. Fish heads are another great attractant in this manor. I also keep all my grease from bacon/breakfeast suasages and lace it on the trees about 5-6 feet off the ground in my baiting areas. The idea is smell to lure them intially, grease to lure other bears that run across the feeding bear's tracks and then of course feed them when they mossy in for a look. If your bait runs dry then so does your odds at harvesting one, so make sure you keep it stocked.