Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Question On Montana Elk Hunting >

Question On Montana Elk Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question On Montana Elk Hunting

Old 12-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question On Montana Elk Hunting

OK guys I'm I'm trying to get some information on maybe putting together an Elk hunt for next year. I've got a friend that moved to Bozeman Montana this year & says they have Elk all over the place. Now me being from Florida no nothing about Elk but know that I want to take one really bad.
My question is, Is there any truth to their beening good Elk hunting around Bozeman? And by good hunting a chance at getting a tag for a decent area & maybe having a chance at a decent bull? I could hunt Bow, Blackpowder or rifle. Which one would I have the best chance at? Can you recommend an outfitter in the area that is good & well priced?
I've got a ton of other questions if anyone is from around Bozeman I sure would like to talk to you.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question On Montana Elk Hunting

If it were me I would have MY FREIND do a little scouting and research. Forget about the outfitter for now and save some money.
Bozeman area falls in the 300 hunting districts most of which had an extended season this year because they had too many Elk. Go to the FWP Site http://fwp.state.mt.us/default.html and request a Hunting Access Guide for Region 3 which covers Bozeman and Southwest Montana.
These are block management area's where you can get access to private lands. The 2005 guide is probably not out yet but if you get the 2004 I am sure most of the same ranches will be participating. You can find the names of the ranch's on the FWP site and might be able to pull some contact info off of them. Again the FWP site is getting better every month and you should go there and start your hunt by gathering the info[X(] you may need.
Good Luck
Old 12-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Montan gave you the best information possible.I just got back and that s what i did and had the time of my life,good hunting and hey get in shape youll need it
semper fi
Old 12-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Montana has a rifle season and a achery season.There are alot of elk around Bozeman,but their is alot of private ground.There is some Natl. Forest and BLM.
Best bet is send your freind out scouting,or come up this summer and visit do some trout fishing and some scouting.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

If you have the time take 2 weeks for your trip. I have hunted MT 2 times now on my own and having 2 weeks makes a huge difference. The people out there are outstanding as is the hunting and scenery.

My advice is go!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2004, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

I appreciate everyone’s help. I know I will not get a chance to scout this spring or summer, but may be able to pull two weeks for the hunt. I looked though the MT website but could not find anything on Black powder season. Doers MT do a BP season, & do they have any restrictions on the gun (no scope, etc, etc)?
Old 12-21-2004, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is presently no blackpowder season in Montana. As stated above, they have an archery season and a rifle season. You can hunt with a bow, and if you are not successful, you can go back and hunt with a gun until you get an elk. The best deal is their big game combo tag (around $628?). With it, you can kill an elk, one deer (mule deer OR whitetail), small game, and go fishing. It generally runs around 40% draw for first time applicants, however, I heard that last year it was higher. They have a "bonus point" system, that if you apply for one, and are unsuccessful, will give you an additional chance in the drawing.

As stated, go to their website to answer most of your questions.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:34 PM

FYI, for those of you who are interested in hunting and/or fishing in Montana, check out the Montana Hunting and Fishing Journal website at www.huntingandfishingjournal.org. They feature a Q&A section, a daily blog, and a Thursday newsletter, which is, in essense, the outdoor sections of the six big Montana newspapers. Finally, they are also up-to-date with all the hot, outdoor, political issues, too ...

On a more personal note, you might want to try antelope hunting ... my personal favorite!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shazo, not sure why you want to hunt the Bozeman area, but there is so much forestrey and BLM property in the state that access is relativly easy depending on the type game you want to hunt. Look at where you want to hunt and then what specie and then do some homework and then pursue. I hunt across the state hunting territory that I have never been to but sometimes I do good and sometimes I don't do sh!t, but I have the greatest time a person could have, and no guide required, that would reuin it.
Look at your topos and put in for the quotos when the season starts and just do it. Good luck. Bobby
Old 01-12-2005, 09:16 PM

I love it when you guys talk about the need to be in shape. Four seasons of Elk hunting for me have netted two cows and a couple of passes on small bulls. Done 3 do it myselfs and one outfitter on horseys. All were a little ways east of Bozeman in the Boulder valleys. Wore me out!

I'm gonna get that bull someday, but I think I like that fact that I'm on a hunt you need to be in shape for best of all. I think the hunt has me hooked more than the game. BTW it was no joyride going with that outfitter on horse. The guides push and you want to keep up.

Next year it's do it myself time again and I'm already starting to get in shape, not waiting until summer. I like to walk up and down hills with a 50 lb backpack to exercise. Makes my real one seem lighter and I its easier on my aging knees than running.