Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Colorado Elk regulation question >

Colorado Elk regulation question

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Elk regulation question

Old 01-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Colorado Elk regulation question

I read occasionally about hunters making multiple trips back and forth packing out elk quarters on their backs. When I read the Colorado regulations it says "if a carcass is cut in pieces or deboned, evidence of sex only needs to be attached to one quarter or other major part of carcass. All portions must be transported together."

Do I read the regs wrong, or is a multiple trip pack-out prohibited? I have never hunted elk before but am trying to work out the logistics, including pack-out of the very large quantity of elk meat if I am fortunate enough to score, for a do-it-yourself cow elk hunt. Is there some legal way around this restriction that I'm not perceiving?
Old 01-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Colorado Elk regulation question

When they say all portions must be transported together they mean in a vehicle. They know that you can't transport it all out on your back at one time.

You must leave the milk bladder on one portion of the meat if deboned, or quarter if you have access to horses, until the meat either reaches your house or the processor.

You can legally process it yourself in the field if you wish and once you start packaging it you need not worry about the sex of the animal. I believe ElkampMaster does this.

Basically if you are transporting it unprocessed it must have evidence of sex attached to one portion of the animal.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:39 PM

i had the same worry- as i was backpacking...when i boned out the meat, i had to leave evidence of sex(penis in this case)attached to "a significant piece of carcass", according to my local dow guy. it was my first elk(big game period for me)and i figured out how to do it- ugly but servicible...its harder to describe than it is to figure out. basically, cut(or hack, in my case) around his unit leaving it attched to leg muscle. pain in the butt really...
Old 01-13-2005, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

It's pretty simple guys, the quarter you bring to camp first is the one with the sex organ. And have that one tagged. If an officer asked, you have it marked. If it is a 4 point or better area for bull, bring the antlers with the tagged quarter and you are set. Also forget the bones, leave them in the field. The less weight you carry the better. Best trick if you can, a plastic sled, I bring out 2 quarters at a time.
Gselkhunter