Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear hunting.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:27 AM
DM

Default RE: Bear hunting.

I've shot all of mine from the ground, includeing the brown bears i've shot.

I prefer to glass for bears and then stalk them, or sometimes sit where i know they will show up. Like in a berry patch.

Nothing against "tree hunters", but if your up in a tree because your scared, why be out there at all???

I had a bow hunting friend who was just about to go up a tree to his stand and a bear came after him. He went up the tree and dropped his pack, bow, and shotgun as the bear hit his legs. He made it up the tree, and the bear climbed up after him. My friend took a stick and kept pokeing the bear in the eyes, untill the bear went back down to the ground.

For the next two hours, he sat in the tree watching the bear take his pack apart, and chew on his bow, then shotgun. He had to come down after dark, but he did have a little maglite with him. He said the first thing he did was go for the shotgun, but the bear was long gone.

He sat in that tree day after day after that trying to get that same bear, but he never did.

We all got a good laugh out of that one!!

Drilling Man

Old 08-14-2004, 07:42 PM

Default RE: Bear hunting.

I have only hunted bear for one week in sept of 02 in ontario. They had wooden ladder stands built at each site which seemed would be very easy for a bear to climb ha. Being from the south and not acoustomed to bears I felt safer in the ladder. Started out with bow and after several days (getting close to end of week) switched to muzzeloader. My son and I both got one on evening of sept. 11 02. We did do some hunting from ground but not at a bait site. (honey burns)