Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou Hunting?

Old 08-05-2004, 01:34 AM

Default RE: Caribou Hunting?

i have no idea where people get there information from{ no offense to anyone everyones lifestyle is not the same} but i get caribou all the time mostly in the winter . its when you hunt them you can tell which ones look good. i started to hunt here in my home town over 30 yrs ago and i cant even tell you how many caribou i have taken. man if people pay that much to hunt i hope they get what animal there after. most of my life i have been hunting and bagged all kinds of aminals. i will be going for a muskox soon. if you really want to hunt give me a call i dont charge anything . I am not a guide . i would just injoy the hunting
Old 08-08-2004, 03:52 PM

USA-I hunted Quebec for caribou only seen 8 all week bagged 2 big bulls. hunted in Aug. there wasn't any roads for hundreds of miles. Flew in on a plane. You hunted in the snow and seen 20,000 caribou and hunted by the road. Where is this place located and how big were the bulls. I hunted with Safari Nordik for $4,000.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are referring to the drive in winter hunt in zone 22B which is east of Radisson on the James Bay flats. Very cheap hunts, huge herds but the best bulls have already dropped thire antlers by then. Hunts are on the snow from late November thruogh March.Costs less than half of a typical flyin Aug-Sept hunt.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Washingtonhunter! check out Newfoundland for Caribou and moose ,I've been considering going there Caribou and moose combo Pkg.I've been reading that thier success rates on both are very high .

nubo
Old 08-09-2004, 10:01 AM

Thanks -TerryM- Also nubo-- I hunted Newfoundland last fall the caribou are no where as big as Quebec. I hunted moose bagged a nice bull with the rifle. Seen 4 other smaller bulls scrubs. But seen about 20 caribou bulls.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:53 PM
usa
Fork Horn

BUCKSLAYER1, the camp we hunted out of is KISKIMAASTAKIN, their website is www.clik.to/kiskim ,if nessesary I can find you the number of the fella that booked us, his name is Dave Benedict. As far as antler size I'm not sure what to tell you , the two bull's that I took measured about 34 to 36 in wide by abot 36 in high with double shovels, I'm more concerned about the hunt and everything that it entail's than I am about antler size. The sheer number of animal's is overwhelming and that by itself was worth the price of admission. As someone else stated their were a large amount of blockhead's ( already dropped their antler's) but I saw thousand's with antler's and some that were very impressive, it seemed that the guy's that used snowmobile's had the largest antlered animal's and out of our group of 8, 6 peoples kill's had larger antler's than my caribou did. the meat was delicious. The downside is the time on the road, loooong and very boring until you get to the ice road and then it get's hairy, we only had one truck slide off the road, but a good share of the ride was whiteknuckle driving on sheer ice, but that is part of what made the trip so spectacular.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the information USA
Old 12-09-2004, 07:37 AM

undefined
Hi, I just returnd from a Dec.2-5 caribou hunt with Northern caribou adventures.
caribou hunt,but it certainly will not be my last.
The drive was terrible,650 miles of deep snow and blizzard conditions, but the were well maintained and we could average 45 mph.
The outfitter was great! Although the hunt is not guided, they put us in the very best areas and brought in snowmobiles and packed out their clients caribou.
They told us to shoot an animal anyplace we wanted to and they would retrieve it,they sure stuck by their word.
A hunter shot a trophy bull 430 yards of trail and they went to it on the snowmobiles and packed it out.
They packed two out for me and refused to take a tip!

Now for the downside,the temps ranged from -19 F to 13 F above. The snow was 3-4 foot deep and packed powder. the wind was almost a constant 20 mph. not ideal hunting conditions but bearable.
The big bull had mostly dropped their antlers,I saw hundreds of animals each day dozens of them were big bulls with only one antler or no antlers, I never saw even one trophy bull.
There were lots of hunters and several trophy bull were killed, but the ratio per hunter for the big boys was only about 2%.
I hunted three days and was very selective, I killed 2 very symetrical double shovels, but they were far from trophy class.
The group I went with consisted of 11 seasoned hunters and we all limited out as did everyone in the camp.
I think if we had booked the first week of season in Nov. we would have all taken big bulls.
The outfitter told me that the bou were not nearly as numerous but the big antlers were there and if we had hunted as hard as we did, we could have all taken trophys!
Anyhow, I highly recommend NCA, they are top shelf people.
Good hunting, Remember, Fences and pens= SLOBS!
Larry