Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

caribou hunting

Old 05-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default caribou hunting

Has anyone done a do it yourself in Quebec for caribou? I would like to go ,but I dont have alot of money for a fancy guided hunt. Or does anyone know of a cheap guide?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: caribou hunting

i dont know yf your are interested, but the winter caribou hunts in quebec are VERY affordable. i personally went with mirage outfitters. 2 years ago if i remember right the cost for the lodge with all meals and your two caribou tags was less then $1500 (not sure of price, it was the other guys part of a swap hunt, but im sure thats close). it was awesome, worth every penny. one thing about mirage though is that they usually book ahead, because repeat customers have first priority. i think calling them would be a good idea, they might tell ya call back in early december.
of course there are other outfits that offer the cheaper winter hunt, but from what i hear mirage is the best. there is a heck of a thread on this in the other areas page under regional forums

one thing to consider though, the winter hunt starts mid to late november, and a lot of the biggest bulls have dropped their antlers by then. i got the biggest one in camp the week i was there, and although he is real nice hes no monster. if ya want a pic of him email me, for some reason i cant post pics here. but if you are looking for a cost effective caribou hunt for two bulls, with a good chance at seeing at least some pretty nice animals, i dont think you will get more for your money than the winter hunt...check it out
brad
Old 05-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Whats your budget????
Old 05-14-2005, 02:36 PM

You can do a drop hunt in Alaska for around $1200, but you still need your license and plane ticket up here. I know you asked about Quebec, but for the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would spend $1500 to hunt when the big bulls have dropped their antlers when you can spend $2000 in Alaska and get a bruiser, unless you are strictly meat hunting.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

How cold was it up there in the late season? My budget depends on the hunt. I'm a poor concrete finisher, with two new twin baby boys. That's pretty broke! But I might be able to scrape up alittle cash .
Old 05-15-2005, 08:14 PM

I can uderstand it, I got a couple of really nice bulls in the Yukon. Hunted with a couple I went to high school with. Then I tried to get the racks back home and find a place to hang them. He's better of huntin' the meat. [:-]