HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Caribou Hunting?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 07:37 AM
fairchase Larry

Default RE: Caribou Hunting?

undefined
Hi, I just returnd from a Dec.2-5 caribou hunt with Northern caribou adventures.
caribou hunt,but it certainly will not be my last.
The drive was terrible,650 miles of deep snow and blizzard conditions, but the were well maintained and we could average 45 mph.
The outfitter was great! Although the hunt is not guided, they put us in the very best areas and brought in snowmobiles and packed out their clients caribou.
They told us to shoot an animal anyplace we wanted to and they would retrieve it,they sure stuck by their word.
A hunter shot a trophy bull 430 yards of trail and they went to it on the snowmobiles and packed it out.
They packed two out for me and refused to take a tip!

Now for the downside,the temps ranged from -19 F to 13 F above. The snow was 3-4 foot deep and packed powder. the wind was almost a constant 20 mph. not ideal hunting conditions but bearable.
The big bull had mostly dropped their antlers,I saw hundreds of animals each day dozens of them were big bulls with only one antler or no antlers, I never saw even one trophy bull.
There were lots of hunters and several trophy bull were killed, but the ratio per hunter for the big boys was only about 2%.
I hunted three days and was very selective, I killed 2 very symetrical double shovels, but they were far from trophy class.
The group I went with consisted of 11 seasoned hunters and we all limited out as did everyone in the camp.
I think if we had booked the first week of season in Nov. we would have all taken big bulls.
The outfitter told me that the bou were not nearly as numerous but the big antlers were there and if we had hunted as hard as we did, we could have all taken trophys!
Anyhow, I highly recommend NCA, they are top shelf people.
Good hunting, Remember, Fences and pens= SLOBS!
Larry