Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bullet Selection

Old 06-17-2004, 02:54 PM

Default RE: Bullet Selection

I just bought a box of Federal Nosler Partitions in 180 gr. We'll see how they perform at the range.

...anyone like the Scirocco's or Accubond's?
Old 06-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

HL-------I've also just got one of the last Tikka in LH. I love the action & the trigger is great. Mine was set a 2 1/2 pounds-----no need to change. I think you'll find those Federal 180 partition will group pretty well. Mine is also in a 30/06----thinking of retiring the Remington.

My thought on the 165 or 180 is that the 180 shoots almost as flat out to 300 yards. About 2" difference I think. I've never shot an animal (elk /deer) over 250 yards. Antelope is another story but I went down to 150 grains for that.

You are doing it the right way. Learn how to shoot the rifle. Practice off hand, kneeling.against a tree, prone etc. Get that confidence you can make the shot & that the rifle is an extension of you.

I like Hornady----if I were you I would try a box. Those new bonded bullets interest me. I see Hornady is now making them in 180 grain.

Bullets & ballistics are fun to talk about. But I've never got hung up on the word "Premium". No matter how you cut it---a 180 grain "Core-lokt" in the lungs is better than any "Premium" bullet in the paunch.

I honestly think the old 180 "Core-lokt" round nose is a pretty good choice

for a whitetail/moose combo bullet.

Uncle-----pretty sure that was satire. I've been barbeque more than once for using "core-lokts" on elk. Some folks think they wear kevlar vest these days.

Just reread the post------Sounds like I'm preaching the 180's. If your rifle likes the 165----sounds like it does---then shoot them. They will work just fine on moose, deer and elk. Back when I was doing what you are now doing---I compare 150 to 180's. My rifle like the 180 much better so I stuck with that load. I've used pointed sp & round nose. Not much difference. I used Win round nose on 2 black bears & then finished up the box on a couple cow elk. I'ved used mostly the pointed SP core-lokts for deer & elk. Hornady spire points on the bighorn, mtn goat & 2 elk. IMO----no a nickel's worth of difference.

Where I'm different than a lot of other hunters is I like to use the load that I'll be hunting with to practice with. So when there is a sale on--I buy 10 boxes. Practice with 8 then hunt with the last 2.

like you I like to keep it simple. My scope is sited in for 2" high at 100 yards. I don't change it or my ammo for my hunting.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

a 180 grain "Core-lokt" in the lungs is better than any "Premium" bullet in the paunch.
I think Colorado Bob summed it up pretty darn well.

I shoot reloads, my bullet of choice is the Nosler Partition.
My father shoots a 40-year old 30-06 rifle with 180-grain round nose Remington Core-lokt ammo. He has killed a ton of elk & deer over the years with this same rifle & ammo.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:41 AM

Colorado Bob...thanks for the insightful advice. I'll definitely consider what you said. I appreciate the help...that includes everyone that responded to this thread.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am one who believes moose are one of the easiest animals I hunt to tip over, however that being said I personally prefer premium bullets for all of my hunting purposes. I will not get into the arguement of why I spend more on bullets but to simply say I feel more confident that in the world of hunting being unpredictable and not being able to place your shots like at the range on a stationary target made of paper, that in the event I pull it slightly or the animal twitchs slightly I want to make sure my bullet will make it to pay dirt! For me anything less is short sited or failure to be realistic. I also don't think spending an extra few bucks on bullets is a waste of money, especially when compared to the amount I/we spend to do this awesome sport each year!!!

HL - of the list you provided I would suggest the 180 federal partitions. I haven't seen to many rifles that wouldn't shoot a part as good as a corelokt or powerpoint. The next choice would be a 180 gr Seirra Gameking, of the list you provided. If you could find Hornady ammo the Interlock SP or Interbond in 180 grain version would also cover both animals nicely. Likewise the Nosler Accubond which is both loaded by Federal and Winchester for 04'. If you are absolutely stuck on Rem Corelokt's than use the 180 gr version for your moose hunt.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:15 PM

Barnes-X without a doubt the best terminal performance, but some guys have accuracy problems w/ them. Failsafes are a close second. Other than that the PREMIUM game bullets are better, see which shoot well for you. premium bullets make ten times the difference that velocity does.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:39 AM

I used to use 180 grn Winchester Silvertips in my Rem 760 .30-06, but changed to Speer hot-core's in my own handloads, when Federal Premiums came out with Nosler Partitions, I switched to those. All performed pretty well, although the Silvertips didn't like bone too much. The Federals seemed to hit a little harder, but I almost never had any lead left in the front partition... it just blew away, leaving maybe 50% retained weight. After a buddy knocked over a nice bull with a spine shot, I was amazed to discover that his bullet was well over 80% intact, even after completely smashing the heaviest part of the spine. a perfect mushroom, except for one side had peeled off. and this from a 50 yard shot. What was this amazing wonder bullet? A 180 grn Winchester Powerpoint in a factory Super-X load...$11.95 for 20 at any Wally world.
I have now been using them exclusivly for the last 8 seasons, taking 8 moose, at ranges from 30 yards to 200 yards without a single failure. They seem to hit just as hard as the Federal Premiums, but the hold together better. The last 2 moose were taken with a .300 Win Mag with 180 grain powerpoints and they hold together just as well, even on a 75 yard neck shot. This has to be the bargain of the century! They still expand reliably on deer as well.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would be very happy to hunt all big game animals anywhere with the Nosler Partition of proper weight and caliber. Never seen one fail when the hunter did his part. I have used the Partition for everything. Big Bears, use the 200 Grain. Elk and Moose, the 180grain. Deer,sheep and goats the 150 or 165 will do good.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:36 PM
DM

I've shot a LOT of moose, and it's true, "IF" a moose is standing there at a decent range sideways and lets you put a shot in it's ribs, most any 165 grain will do. BUT, if that same moose is close and quartering away, EVERYTHING changes! Now you need good expansion with "lots" of penetration, and that's where the Nosler Partition (NP) shines!!!

For my "do it all" load in my 30-06 in the lower 48, i'd pick the 180 grain NP, for Alaska i'd pick the 200 grain NP.

The "do it all" part is why i'd pick the NP, as you sure don't need premium bullets to kill a deer with an 06!

Drilling Man
Old 11-08-2004, 05:53 PM

I'd throw in for the barnes X bullets as tops, maybe nosler partitions. There are several really good ones though trophy bonded bearclaws, failsafes, swift a-frames. Bullet construction DOES make a difference.