Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

That is one tough scope!!

Old 04-08-2004, 09:29 AM

Default That is one tough scope!!

I shot a 5 point bull on a steep slope in Idaho last year.
I leaned my rifle up against a tree while attempting to roll the bull to a place where I could start getting the meat off.
When I rolled it the front leg hit my rifle and it slid 5 feet down a rock then dropped about 6 feet off a ledge and landed on my scope on another rock.
Man was that painful to watch, expensive rifle & $400 dollar scope (2.5x8 varixIII). I know, next time be more careful where I leave my rifle.
Thank god for synthetic stocks and Leupold scopes.
Stock had a few scratches in it but the Leupold hit right on the front ocular on a rock.
Bent the front ocular in but did not break the scope or change point of impact. That is a tough scope!
Anybody else have any "tough scope" stories?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: That is one tough scope!!

about 5 years ago while walking back to the cabin in wisconsin I had my rifle slung over my shoulder and I slipped on some ice and landed on my back on top of my rifle/scope. It dented the end of the scope where it bends back down, it's a pretty nice divot. I put the gun away and used my back-up rifle the rest of the hunt (last weekend) When I took it to the range it was still on zero. Still hunt with it (leapould vari II 2x7), I like to think that the dent just adds a little character
Old 04-08-2004, 10:23 AM

The Leupold legend goes on....

Others might be better at this,
Others might be better at that,

But for the "all round", "out in the boondocks", "take a licking and keep on ticking", "don't let you down", "get the job done" scope they are hard to beat, especially for the price.

On a personal level, I appreciate the abuse they can take from "frisky" mid-bore rifles (338 and up) without falling apart AND the long eye relief inherent with Leupolds is always welcome.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-09-2004, 09:45 AM

My dad was pulling his bag and rifle up to his treestand one day. Right as he reached out to grab the rifle and bag, his rope slipped out of his hand, causing the rifle and bag to drop approx. 50ft to the ground. The scope (Vari-X III 3-9x50) is still in perfect condition and is still zero'd in. I know what my next scope will be!

Timba
Old 04-09-2004, 03:14 PM

Timbawolf,

50ft? Holy cow your dad likes to get up there!!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tell me about, people look at me like I'm crazy at 35'.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:39 PM

Me and my brother were goat hunting and on the hike up the hill my brother slipped and fell over 300 feet down the mountain. His scope was full of mud and dinged in a few places but he still managed to take a goat on the frist shot. usin leupold variXIII. i dont know to be more impressed that my bro didnt have a scratch on him or that the gun was still in good order..

Kev
Old 04-11-2004, 06:21 AM

two years ago was elk hunting in montana i had rifle on my shoulder going across a shale slope the sling let loose (busted)rifle free fell from my shoulder to the rocks then rolled for fifty feet before landing up against a tree.scope has all kinds of nicks scratches and dents.picked it up got off the shale fired three rounds at an old fence post it still held its zero.leopould vari xII 4x12 ill never buy anything else. i'll never buy a sling from that maker again either
Old 04-11-2004, 08:59 AM

Wow!

6-0!

EKM
Old 04-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just about two weeks ago I came home from the range and was trying to unlock the front door while holding my 260 Ruger in my hand. I lost my grip on it and droped it right in the concrete step. It had my old Bushnell Sportview 3x9 range finder scope on it. It dented the fron bell badly but I put it in the freezer for about an hour then laid it in the sink full of hot water. No fog or moister. Today I took it back to the range and its still holding its zero perfect. I have had it for thirty years and I though it was a goner. I also agree the Leupolds are a tough scope as well. They have stood up well for me. Best scope I ever owned? still do. An old 2x7 Redfield tracker. Its been on all of my Magnum rifles from the 416 Remington on down. Never missed a lick. At the time I bought it about thirty five years ago, they were 75.00 but then that was a fair amount of loot in 1969.