Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tough Tom

Old 04-22-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Tough Tom

Ive tried it all from fly down cackles and the wing, to excited hen yelps, a few cluck and purrs and even a gobble here and there. But i can not get this tom to head my way. I know where he is roosting at night and flying down in the morning. But everything i have tried hasnt worked. Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tough Tom

ORIGINAL: CowboyWade12

Ive tried it all from fly down cackles and the wing, to excited hen yelps, a few cluck and purrs and even a gobble here and there. But i can not get this tom to head my way. I know where he is roosting at night and flying down in the morning. But everything i have tried hasnt worked. Any suggestions?

That is exactly the problem.... you've tried all the calling tactics on the back of the package.

Now, why don't you use what you have learned about where he is and where he is going.... plant yourself down nice and comfortable... make a few soft clucks and contented yelps and let him walk right infront of your gun barrel and take a ride in the truck?

If he isn't coming your way... then you are either not in HIS way.... or he is with hens and they are leading him away from you... and the more excited you get... the faster those hens will take him away from there.

You aren't going to call a bird to you that isn't already sort of coming your direction. Not with any degree of regularity. Birds have set patterns... you need to put yourself at least near one of those travelways.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: CowboyWade12

That is exactly the problem.... you've tried all the calling tactics on the back of the package.

Now, why don't you use what you have learned about where he is and where he is going.... plant yourself down nice and comfortable... make a few soft clucks and contented yelps and let him walk right infront of your gun barrel and take a ride in the truck?

If he isn't coming your way... then you are either not in HIS way.... or he is with hens and they are leading him away from you... and the more excited you get... the faster those hens will take him away from there.

You aren't going to call a bird to you that isn't already sort of coming your direction. Not with any degree of regularity. Birds have set patterns... you need to put yourself at least near one of those travelways.
Exactly what I was going to say. figure out where he is going and WHY. When you do, then you can set up appropriately and take him out. Good luck to ya.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

If you can't get close in the morning, try him in the evening...set up and wait.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yip, I've always said that it's much easier to call a tom to a point that he WANTS to go.

If ya haven't, try some different calls. In other words, if you're using box calls, try a different box call, or try a slate, or try a mouth reed, and if you're already trying all of the above, try a different brand of call. Some times a different sounding call does the trick.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

As the others have said, he is wanting to go the other way. Why dont you set up on the other side where he is flying down and just wait? Do some soft calling or none at all and let him come the way he wants to go.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM

When i first said ive tried everything, i didnt mean it has i tried this call for a lil while and immediatly moved to a diffrent one and started calling, i waited awhile and then something else as the day went on and sounded as the turkeys would tht particular part of the day. And ive tried box calls, slate calls, diaphram call, anddiffrent locators to see where and how quickly he had/was moved/moving. But he's just not interested.

And the one problem ihave with setting up to where he is going is its not my land, and ive asked the guy who owns it to hunt but he just wont allow it. So tht puts me in the spot where i am now, the calling isnt working, nor are the rest of the tactics ive tried.

The tactics i have tried are of course some calling, not much but also not to little either. Setting up on three diffrent points of the hill across the holler from where he is roosting top, bottom, and middle. Ive used a few decoys. And even used some hens tht i had come in to my advantage todo there thing and see if he heard them and wanted some action butagain tht didntwork.

So now from what i have wrote does anybody have anything tht they would try tht i didnt mention?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Patience. In the world of turkey hunting, he who has the most patience will come out a victor. Later in the season, those toms are going to run out of hens, and that's when your best chance will be to strike. Assuming the tom/s have hens now. Once the hens stop coming to roost, those toms get lonely, and that's when you need to be out there and strike. No hens on the roost, get set up close enough for the boys to here your calling first thing, and call them in once they hit the ground.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:06 AM

Well that tough tom ive bein hunting for the past 2 weeks final got shot this morning. But unfortunetly not by me, the guys down the road from my farm like to go wherever they please, with no regard to who they have to walk on to get what the want. well they walked on me this morning and shot the turkey i had coming my way. . .oh well