Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Accubond for elk

Old 04-01-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Accubond for elk

I've been hearing some good things about this bullet. Does anyone know if any of the factory loads come with Accubonds or maybe one of the manufacturers planning on using it?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Accubond for elk

Federal and Winchester are loading it in their 270's, 30-06, 300's, 338's, 7mm's.

Federal is also loading it in the .375H&H
Old 04-01-2004, 10:01 PM

They'll do fine for elk. I got those 225 grain Accubonds loaded up for my 338 Win. Mag. which I plan on using for brown and black bear this spring.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:39 PM

Sorry[X(][:@]left out the most important part of my post. I shoot a .300 RUM. Any cartridges with Accubonds for this caliber? Federal has a Trophy Bearclaw bonded bullet in this caliber, anybody have any experience with these? Think they'll match the Accubonds?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remington loads the schirroco (sp) in the ultra mag. It is essentially the exact same bullet as the accubond but made by swift.

But to the TBBC. It is one bad ass bullet. IMO, assuming the TBBC shoots well out of your rifle, it is the absolute best expanding lead bullet on the market today. The front of the bullet is lead and is chemically bonded to the thick jacket while the rear of the bullet is solid copper. This bullet expands beautifully with out over expanding due to the solid shank of the bullet and retains a high ammount of weight. The only draw backs to it are that it is not as stream lined as other bullets and bleeds off speed a little faster but it is negligable and they are very expensive if you want to reload them.

The one that I have been able to recover was a 140 grain .270 bullet recovered from a large cow elk. It broke three ribs on entrance, went through the liver and literally turned it to mush, the rear of one lung, broke two more ribs and stoped just under the skin on the off side. The perfectly mushroomed bullet literally looked like it had been shot into ballistics geletan except for the blood and bone on it.

I took a mulie doe with them that same year but did not recover that one. The wound channel was great though. Very good and extensive damage to both lungs and the exit wound was larger than the entrance wound indicating that it had mushroomed just as nicely on deer as it did on elk.

If they shoot for you you won't regret using the on elk. Especially with the velocites that the UM is going to give you. You need a great bullet like the TBBC.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually the Accubond and Scirocco aren't quite the same. Both are bonded, ballistic-tipped, lead-core bullets but the jacket taper on each is different. The Scirocco is thin right near the tip and then pretty much thick the rest of the way down the side. The Accubond has a thinner jacked toward the nose and tapers to a thicker jacket toward the heel. I suspect you'll get better energy transfer with the Accubond but if you're after heavy game (big bear, elk, moose) something of a heavier bullet might be warranted. The Hornady Interbond looks very much like the Accubond so either would probably be a pretty good bullet for deer up to elk sized game.

Scirocco;

Accubond;

Hornady Interbond;

Personally I like the way the Accubond is designed and will be using it for everything this next year. I hunt deer, elk, and black bear and have used the Scirocco on deer but in my opinion it's too much for deer.

Also found this site on bullet selection while finding pictures for this reply. Pretty good read;

http://www.shortmags.org/shortmags/r...tselection.htm
Old 04-02-2004, 11:16 AM

Federals trophy bonded Bearclaw are moly coated for the 300 RUM. If you shoot non-coated bullets don't shoot Federal TBBC. Shoot the Swift by remington. If you want to try TBBC first clean your barrel with Barnes
C-10 to remove the copper and then shoot them, but if you switch bad to non-coated bullets clean the barrel again with C-10 before changeing.