Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Accubond for Elk

Old 03-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Accubond for Elk

I am wondering if anybody has used an accubond for elk? I am thinking about trying this bullet in my 7 rem mag to see how it performs. If things go well I was wondering if I could use it as my bullet for Elk, Deer and possibly moose (if I get drawn).

Any thoughts or just stick with the provens?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accubond for Elk

I used the Accubond bullet last year on antelope, deer & elk. The wife had a 160-grain accubond loaded up in her 7mm Ultra Mag. I had the 140-grain Nosler Partition in my 7mm-STW. We compared the entry & exit wounds of both bullets head to head on antelope & deer. I could not tell the two apart. We killed a total of four antelope & four deer. Two antelope & two deer were shot with accubond bullets & had exit wounds that matched te exit wounds of the partitions.
I killed a raghorn 5x5 bull elk with my 300-win mag & a 200-grain accubond. The accubond preformed perfect on the elk. I can not say that the accubond bullet preforms any better than the Partition.
I have used the partition bullet for years & will continue to do so in the future, after I run out of accubonds.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

With Federal loading them for the 300WSM this year I will most likely be useing them on elk this year. Provided they print good on paper. I don't see any reason in the world why they would not be a superb bullet for everything from deer and antelope to elk, moose, and bears. IMO this bullet as well as Hornady's bonded bullet should combine the best of both worlds. Toughness, weight renention, penetration, and excelent accuracy.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bigbulls that is my thoughts..well hope too! Either the interbond or accubond will give me performance on both sides of the spectrum.

Wolf, for whatever reason I can not get Parts. to shoot as well as I would like out of my 7 rem mag. I have been using failsafes for elk but I don't not favor them for deer. I have resolved myself to switch loads in the past and was hoping that may change with one of these offerings!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty sure I'll be shooting Accubond's in my 7mm this year for everthing. Also wife's 270.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:10 PM
eck

I'm thinkin' about switching from 180 gr. Fail Safes to 180 gr. AccuBond CTs in my .300WSM... and I'm interested in the opinions and experience of you experts.

A brief introduction since this is my first post... I'm a new elk hunter... elk-hunted only two years... here in WA... on the east side... on public land. After a fair amount of research and deliberation, I bought a Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker w/BOSS in .300WSM two years ago. I would have gotten the SS Stalker, but they weren't out then in .300WSM and with the BOSS.

I selected the Fail Safes and have been very happy with them thus far. Starting with the factory "sweet spot" setting and after familiarizing myself with my new rifle, I was able to shoot a 3-shot group that tore a single ragged hole... measuring only 0.22", extreme center-to-center... and this, just a fraction right of center in the 1" dia. center bull. I was quite pleased, as it had been almost 30 years since I had shot a high-powered rifle... and that was a 22-.250.

So, off to hunting it was. Never got a chance on an animal that first season... eight days in the field... only saw 3 cows and they were being shot at by 5 hunters... and that occured on the last day of the hunt.

Last year was much different. I personally saw 13 animals... and our party of 6 saw 22 total. And to top if all off, I shot my first elk... a mature cow... at almost 400 yd. Quite the experience! I am ABSOLUTELY hooked on elk hunting.

OK... back to the questions... <smiling>...

1. Has anybody here tried the new Winchester Supreme CT 180 gr. AccuBond ammunition? It's just coming on the market almost as I type this post.

2. If so, has anybody with an A-Bolt II w/BOSS had any experience with trying to find the "sweet spot" for this round?

3. And what do you guys think about switching from Fail Safes over to the AccuBond CTs? Considering I'm all zeroed... and confident with that round, are the benefits of the AccuBond CTs worth switching over?

From the research that I've done, the muzzle velocity of the AccuBond CTs is only 40 fps greater than the Fail Safes... yet the down range velocity and energy greatly favor the AccuBond CTs... due to its significantly better BC... I believe.

TIA guys!
Old 04-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eck,
I have not shot the CT from Winchester,I have also shot the Fail safes and the Power Points and both preformed well in my Model 70's.I shot my bull last year with the 180 gr PP and I had complete pass through and major disruption of the heart and lungs.I don't think I will used the accubonds or the CT's this year I'm hoping to get my hands on the Federal 165 gr soild base Boat Tail.This looks to be a good bullet for the 300 WSM.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the boards ECK. Since you're in E. WA. I'm sure I'll see you out hunting this year.

Sounds like one dandy rifle you have there. I think the fail-safes would be fine for elk, I doubt I would switch with that kind of accuracy as I believe they would both perform about the same. The only reason I can see to switch is if you enjoy playing around with new loads and such.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome, I certainly wouldn't change your load, your pleased with the results both on the range and in the field. Failsafe is an excellent & proven elk taker. While I am sure the Accubond would do well, the fact your tearing ragged holes and put meat on the pole is worth the thought of just sticking by her! Unless your like power said into playing with loads..but since i assume your talking factory ammo I would just stick to the bullet you already found!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:41 AM
eck

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

Not sure what I'll do. Playing around with a second round may be fun to do this summer.
If I had the "sweet spot" for the AccuBond I think that I'd go for it... but since I don't, I likely won't. A hunting party friend ordered four boxes of the CT round, also in .300WSM. I'll be interested to see how he likes it.

Power - We hunt in the Tamarack Spring area... GMU340... how 'bout you? BTW, I live in Marysville... just hunt on the east side.

Quick Reply: Accubond for Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.