Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

rem.core lokt for elk

Old 03-18-2004, 08:31 PM

Default RE: rem.core lokt for elk

Hi guys. I have used the core locks on deer but I prefer the Barnes X bullet for bigger game. I am looking forward to try the Nosler bonded bullet.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:25 AM

Here is a bullet performance chart with almost all the factory bullets compared,
http://www.seahook.com/bestbullet.jpg
Old 03-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I could be accused of hunting bigger game by some with a marginal caliber but never accused of hunting those same animals with a marginal bullet! Match your bullet to the game/situation you face and you'll be glad you did. I agree with those who said you can't compare different game results to come up with a conclusion on which bullet to use. Personally I use BT bullets for deer and antelope & the others (elk and Moose) get solid constructed bullets as mentioned. Different application require different tools, IMO a bullet is part of your tool chest...you wouldn't use a hammer when you needed a sledge, albeit it would work it just isn't the most practical choice for the job!

My advice is stick to the bullet that is intended for the hearty elk variety. BTW saw a Ultra Corelokt blow up on a whitetail buck this fall, distance was approx. 100 yards out of a 3006 hit him forward in the sholder and frag'd completely apart, luckily he put a second shot in the bread basket otherwise that buck would have been a statistic. I will say the bullet failure was in part shooter error but I certainly wouldn't want one in the pipe on an elk or moose after seeing that result, simply isn't strong enough IMHO.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

A good bullet with a sectional density of at least .260 should be used for Elk and even big Mule deer Bucks. In thirty caliber that would be 180 grain. As far as non Premium bullets go, I would trust the Hornady bullets any day. The Barnes X and swift A-frame, Nostel Partition and Accubond and the Speer Grand-slam should all work well. Federal Premium for one comes factory loaded with Partition bullets. I have not tried the corlokt bonded core but would quess they would be a good bullet. I use tons of corlokt for practice because they are cheap to buy bulk. Never had any trouble hunting deer and antelope with them. In my 30-06 for Elk I would probably load the Speer Grandslam. Same for the 270 WSM. In my 45-70 rifles for Elk I load the 350 grain Speer Hot core or the 350 grain Hornady round noes. I have some new 45-70 Barnes 300 grain spire points that I have not tried yet but hope to this year. Sorry I got off track again.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:19 PM

i have used core-lokt bullets for years I have killed 8 cow and 1 bull with a 30.06 with 165-180 factory core-lokt. I have changed guns to a 300 RUM and I would not use core-lockt in it, they come apart. I have not yet tried the new ultra core-lokt.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

That may be your case but I am willing to wager that its not the case for most hunters. YOu can buy a 350+ bull just go to an Indian REservation or shoot one in the Missouri Breaks with a bow or draw a rifle tag there(highly unlikely) or limited tag units or states like AZ or NV... Most trophy Mule Deer hunts don't end up with 35" bucks at least not the ones I know about. I have been on hunts where there were opportunities for a 30+" muley but It would have taken more time and money then I had to hunt them. Coincidentally I have seen larger Mulies on Public land vs Private Land. Consider yourself lucky getting a 21" whitetail on your terms that is as tough an animal to hunt as there is.

First you gotta compare apples to apples, if thats possible in this case. A 350 class bull isn't all that uncommon but isn't near the trophy is that a 35" muley is. I would think a 400+ class bull would equal a 35" muley. Second your're right, if you got the money you can buy just about anything. In Utah you're lucky to find a 290 class bull on a general public land hunt more or less a 350 class bull. Incidentally I took a 29 1\2 muley on a general public land a few years ago. Elk are some of the toughest animals to hunt in Utah unless you have private property or a limited entry tag. Then again muleys are even easier than that on private land or a limited entry tag. No sir, I'd say a 400+ class bull is one of the toughest trophies out there. Even 380 is a tough plateau to reach.

If you really know where 350+ bulls grow like dandelions and its an OTC tag, well just go ahead and draw me a map. I'd be much obliged.