Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

rem.core lokt for elk

Old 03-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: rem.core lokt for elk

I personally like the Core Lokt bullets. shot an Oryx in the top of the back. It went all the way to his hip, and still retained 70% of its weight. I do have a question though, and Im not trying to be a smart a$$. If the Core Lokt is not a good bullet. Then why is Remington going with it insted of the NP? I dont think its becouse of the cost. Hell if I owned the major market for hunting. I dont think I would really care about a few extra dollars it would cost for the Nos. Bullets. Would you?

Just my thoughts
Leroy
Old 03-16-2004, 08:42 AM

I used to use core lokts, but two seasons ago I shot a whitetail buck in the shoulder at 50 yards with a 7 mag using core lokt ammo (I forget the grain) and the bullet exploded. There was very little penatration and the deer ran a couple of hundred yards before falling. The bullet had fragmented so much that when I was cleaning the deer a friend came walking up and thought I had gut shot the deer because the innards had been ruptured and that nasty smell was in the air. I had never had any complaints about core lokts up until that point. I decided to give Remington Premium Sciroccos a try and am very happy with their performance. I do not plan to use core lokts again, because if the deer I shot had been at 300 yards and the bullet exploded I doubt I would have found him.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:19 AM

If the Core Lokt is not a good bullet. Then why is Remington going with it insted of the NP? I dont think its becouse of the cost.
Two things--

First, shooters, hunters and sportsmen are notoriously cheap penny pinchers, so the ammunitions sales market IS very price sensitive -- especially among those who never graduate beyond bambi-popping.

Second, IMHO Remington is run from top to bottom by the "bean counters" --- somewhere they have lost it.

Of course if a hunter (in the midst of a $1,000 to $4,000 hunt) wants to hunt with the "blue light special" ammo, then that is his or her perrogative and a common occurance.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Admittedly I've never used core-lokts but the word of mouth around my campfire is that its not a great bullet. We all know that 65% (guessing) of big game hunters out there pull out thier old rifle once a year and maybe go the range or a hillside the day before opener to squeeze off a few rounds. They don't care if they get a deer or not and when they do its almost always some little forkhorn. These guys don't even know grain they should be using more or less what thier bullet does when it impacts an animal. My guess is that Remington hired some "smart" marketing exects that realized the #1 thing on these guys' mind will be costs and they represent the majority of the market. So they put out a cheap bullet thats OK for deer. Not great, just OK but cheap. My partner has shot a few deer with them while I've been around and although he's never lost one he has had lots of meat damage due to the bullet fragmenting once hitting bone. Based on that I'd say they probably wouldn't be my first choice on elk.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

That may be true about the regular core lokts which i still believe are good bulletts but until youve shot something with the new core lokt ultras you cant say a thing about em till you try em. They worked better than the noslers that ive recoverd. These ultras mushroomed perfectly going through bone. One went through the ham, traveled length through the body went through a shoulder and was stuck in the hide. I will take a pic of two i recoverd and post a pic. I think they have a good bullett in the core lokt ultra. Im not impressed with noslers at all after shooting these. But to each his own, i dont pay 1000 to 4000 to hunt elk so i dont have to worry about that.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:16 PM

Depends on your earnings rate. I'll hope for you that if you take one or two weeks off for an away from home/remote elk hunt that it is costing you at least $1,000 in lost revenue alone, never mind any cash outflow for tags, game bags, petrol, beans, snicker bars, or any other similar, non-essential items.

I am intrigued by and look forward to the upcoming photos though. I understand the partition golds now use a similar bonding process. Both seem to be taking their cues from the Swift A-Frames and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Ill try and get those pics posted tonight, i dont go away to hunt elk from home, i can either go 2 miles or 10 miles from the house and i get paid vacation so alls i pay are tag fees and a little diesel fuel and a little food for lunch. Its nice living close to the elk.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know anyone that has used the "ultras", I'd be real interested in seeing your pictures. My second hand knowledge is limited the original core-lokts.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:19 PM

lhook. chances are that if the deer you spoke of had been 300 yards then the bullet would not have come apart. I have seen a lot of bullets come apart in Magnum rifles at close range. The early ballistic tips would hit a rib and turn a 90 degree corner at times. If I were shooting any magnum rifle and there was a chance for very close shots, I would only use the X bullet or a heavy bonded core . That same corlokt fired from a 7x57 or 7mm08 most likely have worked perfect.Be it a fast caliber or slow one there is no free lunch and niether will, or can perform all tasks well.

ELKAMPMASTER. you seem to show a lot of distain for deer hunters. (bambi poppers. Thanks)
Old 03-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

Seems like we have this debate every so often. The "Core-lokt" design has been around for a long time. I've thought it was designed because when the 30/06 came out, the lead bullets of that era were "blowing up" or "fragmenting". I also thought this is where the term "High Velocity" came from that seems to be on the cartridge boxes. The 30/06-- 180 grain bullet is 2700 fps according to Federal's catalog. IMO, we have pushed the envelope again---the magnums will push the same bullet almost 300 fps faster. I think with the 3000 fps, you need the newer "premium" bullets.

Back to the 30/06. It's been my rifle for over 20 years hunting elk here in Colorado. My bullet has been 180 grain "Core-lokt" for those 20 years, with the occasional Winchester "PP" or Hornady "Spire Point" and have never had a problem. I don't want to brag or boast but I've killed 16 & the guys in my camp probably another 16 or so elk. We hit them on the shoulder, both high & low, behind the shoulder, quartering away or incoming. All with the plain jane bullets---with never a problem.

Now with that said---If you like "premium bullets" & feel that extra confidence in using them-----then you should. If you shoot a magnum or rifle that pushes that 3000 fps (270 Win) then you should use "premiums".

In all honesty & not trying to be a smart ass. Shot placement plays a BIG role. A 180 grain "Core-lokt" out of a 30/06 in the lungs is better than ANY premium bullet out of any magnum rifle in the paunch.

Quick Reply: rem.core lokt for elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.