Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

rem.core lokt for elk

Old 03-17-2004, 12:02 AM

Default RE: rem.core lokt for elk

Jimbo60,

Even back when I hunted a lot of deer, I would say "I'm going out 'bambi-popping". Sorry if my terminology offended, perhaps I should have said "deer hunters that have not progressed to a higher level of big game hunting" but it seems a litte wordy, also hope it didn't hit too close to home.

Last I looked, this WAS an elk/bullet performance thread. The distain as you call it, if any, comes from listening to lifetime deer hunters (that haven't graduated beyond the bambi-popping level) take their knowledge of deer/bullet performance (on thin hided, small boned 250 pound critters) and extend it out into the world as being gospel for elk hunting, when in fact they haven't ever put a hit on, or even a shot at an elk.

Deer you can pretty well knock over with a stick which lets deer hunters get pretty "loosy goosy" on both their cartridge choices and their bullet choices. The world is not quite so forgiving in the realm of elk hunting, especially if you move up to the large mature bulls. Sure, they are both ungulates, got 4 legs, split hooves, brown in color, antlers on the males, social, and like to run in groups, etc. but that is about where the similarity ends, IMHO. Compared to deer, even cow elk can soak up way more punishment than deer and still run off and die where you won't find them. In fact, a lot of deer hunters/first time elk hunters think they missed the shot since they didn't see the elk flinch or limp or react to the shot other than to run off.

In the case of the aforementioned "bambi-popper"/elk hunter discussion, it's kinda like a city boy that spent half the summer mowing lawns and then comes out to the countryside and decides to give advise to a rancher on how to put up (harvest) a 500 acres of wild hay -- similar, but not enough so to be a credible source for advice --- especially from the rancher's perspective.

Let's see, elk hunters....... Hartford-poppers? That is about all I could come up with--help welcome on that one. Rudolph-poppers? No, that would be reindeer/caribou. Bullwinkle-poppers? Nope, moose. Simba-poppers? Whoops, wrong continent, but some serious hunting though. Anyhow....

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-17-2004, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Even though I've seen alot of elk taken with the core lokt Elkamp is right. Elk are alot tougher than deer and can absorb alot of bullets at times. I've actually seen an elk absorb (11) 7mm weatherby rounds before the hunter hit it where it was suppose to be in the first place. But in my mind I'm not a bone shooter I go straight for the lungs. But some have the mentality of shooting for shoulders and on elk size animals this can be distrastrous on elk. The only elk we have never recovered was from low shoulder shots. Even if it breaks the bone it can turn the bullet away from the heart and lungs. For the average hunter maybe a tougher bullet is in need. For the hunters that practice and wait for the perfect shots core lokts will preform just fine.

I use speer spizter boattails and these bullets are not bonded or partition style bullet. They are more of a match style bullet but made for big game. Never had one blow up or not go completely through an elk even at long ranges. Shot a trotting bull this year in the shoulders and went through both shoulders. It wasn't what I meant to do but I overlead the bull just a bit. But the bull only made it another 20yds so I guess the bullets I use are adequate.

I think at the wrong angles or hitting a mass of 2 1/2 inches of solid bone most bullets out there would turn off target.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:29 PM

I have hunted about everything but I still enjoy deer hunting as much as anything else. Bambi poppers may mean nothing to you but the anti's love that kind of talk from people who are supposed to be hunters. I don't think we need to give them any more ammo than they already have. Hope all the other hunters become first class hunters and GRADUATE to your level kind sir. I do my best to support all hunters we need all the help we can get. I agree with the use of good bullets. As I said I have had good solid hits and kills from the old WW Silver Tips. Never tried the new ones. I do have all kind of pictures of my Grandad posing with Elk which he killed with his 44-40. The only rifle he ever used. He carried it on his saddle until he got to old to ride. He grew up in western Wyoming.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even back when I hunted a lot of deer, I would say "I'm going out 'bambi-popping". Sorry if my terminology offended, perhaps I should have said "deer hunters that have not progressed to a higher level of big game hunting" but it seems a litte wordy, also hope it didn't hit too close to home.
Progress to a higher level or perhaps you meant a heavier load to pack out of the woods? I respect all types of hunting for all species but in my opinion it is far easier to kill a big bull 350+ in your average Elk Patch then it is to kill a 20"+ whitetail or a 35" Mule Deer.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now to answer Rochelle's question ..the new ones aren't as tough as the pre bean counter Corelockts that Remington produced. I have not had the opportunity to use the new CoreLock Ultra since their availability in my area seems to be limited. For a 30-06 any of the tons of premium factory loads will do the trick except Ballistic tips or Silvertips and that applies to the magnums as well with exception of the Ultra mags which require even more attention to bullet construction.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:27 AM

Jimbo60,

“Don’t give the “anti’s” any more ammo?” Last time I checked this WAS an elk/bullet performance thread. The only way to satisfy the “anti’s” on that one is to not talk about it. Bullet performance? How well does one product rip, tear, expand, hold together, penetrate, leave wound channel, create hemorrhage, leave blood trail and efficiently kill one of God’s creatures versus another product?! As far as the “anti’s” go I doubt if any amount of PC sugar coating/word selection is going to make this kind of discussion acceptable to that bunch.

I’m kind of a “middle of the road” elk hunter myself (not a prodigy with a rifle), but I do set up one heavy duty elk camp, organize my people, get them into the elk woods with the “right stuff” and we put down our fair share of elk, and get the meat cared for and out of there in good shape. IMHO, you’ve got it wrong. One doesn’t graduate to another hunter’s level, one graduates (or not) to the level of the game being hunted and then results speak from there. Some folks stop at prairie dogs, some at coyotes, some at deer, some other move up to bigger stuff, and some leave the contintent in quest of the biggest and baddest they can find.

Back to the elk/bullet performance thread (for just a moment), I’m wagering that the best sources for elk/bullet performance will probably be from those who have actually done it, versus those that haven't.... am I missing something there?

BTW, cool heritage with granddad, make sure you do an archival quality job to preserve those old photos. I hope your kids make it to the elk woods.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quoteI respect all types of hunting for all species but in my opinion it is far easier to kill a big bull 350+ in your average Elk Patch then it is to kill a 20"+ whitetail or a 35" Mule Deer.
][/quote]

I beg to differ my freind,I have killed a 21 inch white-tail,and a 31 1/2 inch mule deer.I have yet to get my 350 class bull,I have just about ran down every hill here in Montana in search of him,from the Madison to the Beaver Head,and up from the Abasokas to down the Cabinets and a little patch of the rockies called the Bob Marshall in between.I have one more place to go down in to the dust bowl of the Missouri Breaks(when I draw my tag),but I will not give up hope,sooner or later we will cross tracks.
When that day comes I will not be shooting Core-Loks
BBJ
Old 03-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

beg to differ my freind,I have killed a 21 inch white-tail,and a 31 1/2 inch mule deer.I have yet to get my 350 class bull,I have just about ran down every hill here in Montana in search of him,from the Madison to the Beaver Head,and up from the Abasokas to down the Cabinets and a little patch of the rockies called the Bob Marshall in between.I have one more place to go down in to the dust bowl of the Missouri Breaks(when I draw my tag),but I will not give up hope,sooner or later we will cross tracks.
That may be your case but I am willing to wager that its not the case for most hunters. YOu can buy a 350+ bull just go to an Indian REservation or shoot one in the Missouri Breaks with a bow or draw a rifle tag there(highly unlikely) or limited tag units or states like AZ or NV... Most trophy Mule Deer hunts don't end up with 35" bucks at least not the ones I know about. I have been on hunts where there were opportunities for a 30+" muley but It would have taken more time and money then I had to hunt them. Coincidentally I have seen larger Mulies on Public land vs Private Land. Consider yourself lucky getting a 21" whitetail on your terms that is as tough an animal to hunt as there is.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah,I do consider my self lucky to bag such great animals,I just can't seem to find a 25" wide whitie.
I have been to Breaks with a bow,I only live and hour and half away,gets to be alot of hunters come September,I'm hoping for a rifle tag sooner or later.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would kill for a breaks rifle tag

Quick Reply: rem.core lokt for elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.