Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Hunting Antelope and Mule Deer in Wyoming >

Hunting Antelope and Mule Deer in Wyoming

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting Antelope and Mule Deer in Wyoming

Old 12-29-2018, 03:15 PM
Spike

Default Hunting Antelope and Mule Deer in Wyoming

Hey guys just wanted to say hi being that I just joined the forum. We have a forum pretty similar here in Washington state called hunting-Washington.net which has been very helpful for hunters and fishermen here. A little bit about myself I'm 35 years old, married for 10 years with two little girls and work for the Seattle Police department. I have hunted since I was 10 years old and I hunt up here for almost everything like elk, bear, pheasant, turkey, blacktail, whitetail and mule deer. I do lots of walleye fishing as well. I have been trying to venture out of state into Wyoming to do some mule deer and antelope hunting. I'm trying to figure out the whole Wyoming process and it's a lot of information to take in, but I'm looking for a little guidance if possible. I'm looking for some areas open to non-resident mule deer and antelope hunting in which I can camp or stay in a hotel and purchase some out of state tags over the counter. I have tried to look at the states maps and stuff but it's very overwhelming with the info. I'm not looking for anyone's honey holes but just an opportunity in a area for a hard working guy to get out and chase some antelope and mule deer. Any info would be super helpful and appreciated. God bless and thanks.

Luke Hofer
Old 12-29-2018, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

It'll be difficult to find what you're looking for. But not entirely impossible. There are not OTC tags where you can stop at Walmart on your way in and walk out with a license. But there are Units that you are guaranteed to draw, and also lots of left over license after the draw. The problem with these units are that they will have very little public Access. So it will be difficult to find a spot to hunt.

I've been planning a Wyoming antelope hunt for a few years now, and opted to go the preference point route. My group will have 4 points this year and should draw the unit that we want. But it took us four years to get to this point . The advantage of doing it this way is that we will have plenty of public access when we do get there to hunt.

-Jake
Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard! I haven't hunted in Wyoming yet but there are a few guys on here who have and could likely steer you in the right direction. Also, you might consider doing a search within HNI on this topic as it's been brought up before and you might find some useful information. Good luck and stay safe!
Old 12-29-2018, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's an older topic with a lot of good info.

DIY Wyoming Antelope hunt on Public land?
Old 12-30-2018, 05:51 AM
Spike

Check out Thunder Basin national grasslands East of Bill WY. Its lots of public land with good access and you can camp on it. Ive not been up that way in a few years but there used to be a huge motel complex there built by the railroad co for their use primarily but they will accommodate you if they have openings. The other option is to stay in Douglas and drive up which takes about an hour. I used to drive thru TBNG going to a private ranch on the Cheyenne river to hunt mule deer. IIRC its region B general deer license to apply for. Drawing a type 1 any antelope tag for area 29 has became all but impossible for the last 4 or 5 years though. Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it would be best to concentrate on either pronghorn or deer. Trying to find a good public land hunt where tags are easily drawn for both species may not be impossible but it would be close to it. The demand for Wyoming tags has skyrocketed thanks to TV shows and internet forums that tell everyone how easy it all is. It used to be easy.

The better Wyoming hunting units take either preference points or amazing luck in the draw. You can obtain (buy) one preference point a year for each species. You will probably enjoy Wyoming more if you start collecting points and consider deer and pronghorn as separate hunts. The easily drawn units are normally very difficult public access which makes the small amount of public ground very crowded. Everyone seemingly has a chip in their GPS or app on their phone that shows all of the legally hunted land so there are no secrets anymore. The applicants with the most preference points are the first in line for the better units.

It is possible to get a tag in the general draw without points. A percentage of tags are issued at random but the odds are usually very long for good tags.

Pronghorn hunting advice on the internet is easily found, and very often bad. Everyone that has done it once (or watched the TV show) is an expert. Once you have identified a potential area a phone call to the good folks at the local BLM office is not a waste of time.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

The rules don't allow members to post names for competing websites but in this case, the other place has lots of information and a dedicated topic forum (Antelope) that we simply do not have. There is a former member of HNI who was very knowledgeable about antelope hunting in Wyoming, having hunted antelope in WY for over 20 years. TopGun3006 is no longer at HNI but I believe one of the places he hangs out is at LongRangeHunting.com. He has the same user name there and everywhere else that he posts. I "think" he also hunted deer in Wyoming at some point but don't hold me to that. Hopefully this helps which is the point of all of these hunting forums--sharing the knowledge with others and camaraderie among fellow hunters.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

After seeing the above recommendation I just to have to rant a bit. I am sure the recommendation was made with the best intent and I mean no offense to the good fellow that posted it.

There are a small number of guys that go to every pronghorn or Wyoming site (where they are not currently banned) to display their infinite wisdom. A fair few of them actually know something of value but a few of them are absolutely full of beans. There are always a few that are quite the cut-and-paste experts. Others will gladly interpret any and all laws and regulations for you. There is a small minority that use misinformation in an attempt to keep everyone away from their favorite area. Often the same screen names are seen and the same posts appear on multiple sites by those seeking the glory of being an internet expert.. Thankfully none of these guys currently post on this site.

Some of these guys are trolling for points. Wyoming party applications average the number of points of all those on the application. For example a fellow with 8 points asks about which unit might be his best choice and he gets responses and PM's from certain others with no points that will tell him that they have special knowledge and offer "I can help" if he will apply with them as a party. In that case each of them has 4 points, and the fellow that used to have 8 points gets shorted.

Another forum may get the OP to read many other opinions but nobody should take everything he reads on them as gospel. Sorry for the rant.

Edit: This post was intended to respond to Timbrhntr's post. I did not see CalHunter's post until after I had posted. The subject of my post was not directed at one the individual mentioned by CH, but it also does not exclude him.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 12-30-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

You had me wondering there for a minute.

I still should have qualified my advice on TopGun3006 as he would go overboard trying to help one guy and then attack the next guy as not willing to do his own homework. A lot of guys are reluctant to help somebody who doesn't do any of their own homework and wants everybody else to do it for them. I can understand that. They're certainly not getting paid to help anybody. However, if you're going strictly DIY, it helps immensely to be able to focus on a few units with good public land and public access when antelope hunting in Wyoming. Some units will have almost guaranteed draw odds but will have mostly private land or no real public access to public land. For a newcomer, that can be frustrating. Wyoming's Game and Fish website does list Hunter Walk-In areas and other public access to public lands which requires a bit of research. They no longer list private landowners who are willing to sell access rights to their property for a fee.

At any rate, Big Uncle has pointed out some valid issues for anybody to be wary of. Not all people on the internet are trying to help you just to help--some are out for their own gain and not yours. There are also other members on here who have hunted antelope in Wyoming a lot (not me yet but it's on my bucket list) and if you word your question right, they might jump in with some advice for your situation. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
There are also other members on here who have hunted antelope in Wyoming a lot (not me yet but it's on my bucket list) and if you word your question right, they might jump in with some advice for your situation. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Are you familiar with the old saying "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.