Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Hunting Tips Needed

Old 08-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I would back track on the road and find where the bear are leaving the brush and coming onto the road. Then I'd follow that route into the brush about 200 yards and set up overlooking the route they use. I don't know that I'd set up right on the road because they may not be using it until after dark. But bear will head down to water at dusk and being set up on the approach route could buy you some extra shooting light.
That sounds like a good idea, I will definitely see if I can back track them.

I FORGOT TO MENTION I FOUND A POSSIBLE DEN

A few years ago scouting for turk in a narrow cut in a mountain in the same area I found a bull elk skellaton fresh bear scat and a cave up the trail a bit. no fresh tracks of any kind but entrance was low and went back at least 20 ft. A bear could easily get in, I'm going to try and find it again next month. Do you all think this would be a good option ?

Setting up near the den, not going in ha ha. Colorado had to pass a law making shooting a bear in a den Illegal because a hunter actually did it. (THAT AINT HUNTING )

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 08-12-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers

I FORGOT TO MENTION I FOUND A POSSIBLE DEN

A few years ago scouting for turk in a narrow cut in a mountain in the same area I found a bull elk skellaton fresh bear scat and a cave up the trail a bit. no fresh tracks of any kind but entrance was low and went back at least 20 ft. A bear could easily get in, I'm going to try and find it again next month. Do you all think this would be a good option ?
I don't think I'd waste much time on a "den" site. During the season bear are looking for food and water and aren't looking for dens yet. As such they travel quite a bit. If I didn't have a place I could sit and glass over a large area, I'd do what I said before about back tracking the road. The only way I'd stake out a possible den site is if the weather took a really bad turn. But you're walking a fine line in regards to legality then since the law about hunting "denned" bear is kind of vague. If I was going to do that I'd want to be at least 1/4 mile from the "den" just to be safe.

I've taken 2 bear in CO and they were both taken by glassing and stalking. So that would be my preferred method if I wanted another bear skin, which I don't because my wife would kill me if I brought another one home! LOL.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Flags your right on the denned bear law, although I was thinking if he's out it's legal but the reality is that may not be legal if he's using it , I'll call dow but I will still play it safe and not hunt it. I may just put a trail cam at the den area in the spring and get some good images. Thanks Good Call !!!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flags
I would back track on the road and find where the bear are leaving the brush and coming onto the road. Then I'd follow that route into the brush about 200 yards and set up overlooking the route they use.
I would be very careful with this advise while a bear can not see very good but can hear and smell a very long ways.. If he smells you the hunt would be over as he would find a different route rather quickly..
Old 08-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I would be very careful with this advise while a bear can not see very good but can hear and smell a very long ways.. If he smells you the hunt would be over as he would find a different route rather quickly..
I think so to so I'll only back track or even be in the area about a month before season then make a beeline for my hunting spot so as not to spread my scent all over the woods. Thanks !
Old 08-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can't pattern bears like that in the fall. They're spending 20 hours a day looking for food to fatten up for winter.

They might work a 30 mile area. You're best bet is to find their natural food, and stake it out. (not for the whole hunt) You can also sit on a gut pile. Colorado doesn't consider that baiting as long as you don't move it from the kill site.

Lastly, as I recommended. You can call them. Be careful doing this alone. It usually attracts the big boars, and they can come charging in pretty fast. They can also sneak in your blind side. You'll be surprised how quiet a bear can be when it wants to.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the great advise guys ! I really appreciate it !!!
Hear is an image of the area Ill be hunting I was going to hunt Elk and bear from a tree stand in the semi open area on High trail But now am poss. planning sitting just below High trail on the right as the wind will come over the top of the mountain and around it on the far right not shown. The right side of High trail is the high side, I'll hunt bear in a tree stand against the wall to hide my scent from the wind blowing it down hill. I will scout out the area in a few weeks and back track elk and bear tracks to find their travel routs and bedding areas etc. I know bears have a large home range and absolutely if I get an Elk Ill hunt the gut pile, I will be calling them.

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 08-19-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

How busy is that road during your season?
Old 08-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
How busy is that road during your season?
The road dead ends at both ends, can only be seen by satalight images, and I've only seen wild life tracks deer, elk, and bear, no other humans. The semi open area has lots of scrub oak and a whole south facing slope of it not shown plus more after the clearing to the right on the other side of the creek.

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 08-17-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your second photo looks like it shows a cut to the right of that water hole. I'd look really hard at that cut and see if the bear are using it to get to water and to see if there are pockets of wild rose, raspberries or currants along it, all of which bear will feed heavily on. If the fall is really dry, water would be a better thing to set up over for both elk and bear than a food source unless the food source is geographically limited or restricted like a good heavy berry thicket.

One other thing to look at is if there are any big anthills in the more open areas. A lot of people don't know it but bear will hit anthills pretty hard to get to the larvae and eggs. If there are a lot of hills that is worth keeping an eye on. I had an old game warden tell me that trick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.