Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Hunting Tips Needed

Old 08-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

I called our Parks and Wild Life Division here about using scents for bear and we can NOT use scents that smell like foods so that sucks. I will be using a predator call though and I'm looking forward to that !
Old 08-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

My plan is to sit silently in the tree stand for the first day or two hoping to get lucky with an Elk after that I'll be using a predator call Wayne Carlton's Call'n Bears, it sounds really good.

Any one ever tried it ?
Old 08-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers
I called our Parks and Wild Life Division here about using scents for bear and we can NOT use scents that smell like foods so that sucks. I will be using a predator call though and I'm looking forward to that !
I would make sure your back was up against a big rocky ledge (not just a tree) when you turn that caller on.

They/he will come into your calling from down wind - you can count on that !!!

Try to find a opening or at least low brush on that down wind side.....................

Good luck Rocky !!!
Old 08-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I would make sure your back was up against a big rocky ledge (not just a tree) when you turn that caller on.

They/he will come into your calling from down wind - you can count on that !!!

Try to find a opening or at least low brush on that down wind side.....................

Good luck Rocky !!!
That's so important to know, thanks for the great tip !
Old 08-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to forget sometimes that the woods out there is not nearly as thick as they are here.. With that being said perhaps you do not need a trees stand for your bear hunt.. Here it is highly recommended as you will be better capable to see a bear coming in from above rather than at ground level where you would be very lucky to see 15 feet in front of you.. Good Luck on your hunt..
Old 08-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Spike

Her s a tip about what bait to use mate. Black bears eat just about anything, but favourite foods include pastries, popcorn, bread, oats, meat scraps, candy and beavers. You also need a strong odour—the more horrific, the better. Gillet pours buckets of decomposed fish guts around the site to get it “heated up.”
Old 08-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Luke, you must have missed the post that said it is not legal to bait bear in Colorado.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

In 2010 I had 4 game bags hung up high on a porch in south central Colorado. Had a bear climb up the picnic table and got one bag when we were gone. We moved them to the top porch with access only through the cabin. 2 in the morning he came back and climbed one of the porch pillars and was just coming over the railing when I ran out and scared him away. The meat was then put inside in a cooler and I butchered it the next day. After I was done and cleaned up I grabbed a beer and was sitting on the couch and saw that bear come back, climbed onto the lower porch and got up on the picnic table where I had just butchered the deer. I took a picture of it next to a 48 qt cooler. The picture is on an old thread post #14/

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-...ear-pic-2.html
Old 08-11-2015, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntingluke
Her s a tip about what bait to use mate. Black bears eat just about anything, but favourite foods include pastries, popcorn, bread, oats, meat scraps, candy and beavers. You also need a strong odour—the more horrific, the better. Gillet pours buckets of decomposed fish guts around the site to get it “heated up.”
Thanks and so true, in 1985 or so I bear hunted with dogs and horses, we used dead cows, calves, rabbits, and fish, we poured molasses over the bait, some of the cows where Oh so ripe worked great but baiting was stopped I think in the early 90's.

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 08-11-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers
The hidden road (only used by wild life) leads right to a shallow pond right off a creek this road always has bear sign in the spring. If it still has good sign before the hunt you think this would be a better set up point than above the road?
I would back track on the road and find where the bear are leaving the brush and coming onto the road. Then I'd follow that route into the brush about 200 yards and set up overlooking the route they use. I don't know that I'd set up right on the road because they may not be using it until after dark. But bear will head down to water at dusk and being set up on the approach route could buy you some extra shooting light.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.